Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bthlonewolf  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 18, 2010 7:44:08 PM(UTC)
bthlonewolf

Groups: Registered

Hi folks,

About a year ago I successfully repaired my secondary fridge, and it's been great. Now, the primary fridge (Whirlpool Gs6shaxkq01) in the kitchen has a problem. We were in the kitchen and smelled a electronics burning smell -- long story short, I removed the start relay off the compressor and it's definitely toast. I tested the resistance of the compressor and all seems good.

I'm thinking replacing the start relay (part AP3083556) is worth the investment/risk. When I look at the part:
Part Details - WHIRLPOOL Relay, overload and cover kit, part number: AP3083556

.. it looks little like the original part. After some searching online, it seems common these start relays are a bit different. My original part had three connectors: white and blue (top), red (bottom).

Any tips before doing this? I'm posting a bit prematurely but I'm a bit concerned with family coming into town in a few days.

Thanks much!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

bthlonewolf  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 19, 2010 8:00:08 AM(UTC)
bthlonewolf

I was browsing around various parts and stumbled on this start relay for another fridge:

Part Details - WHIRLPOOL Compressor start device kit, part number: AP3961332

This is for a different fridge but I have to say, that start relay looks exactly like the one on mine.
richappy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 19, 2010 4:10:38 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would use the AP3083556 item, a factory replacement item, reasonably priced and very reliable, should solve your problem, will come with instructions.
bthlonewolf  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 19, 2010 4:36:33 PM(UTC)
bthlonewolf

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
I would use the AP3083556 item, a factory replacement item, reasonably priced and very reliable, should solve your problem, will come with instructions.

rich--

Thanks! One question: AP308556 is the relay, overload, and cover kit:
Part Details - WHIRLPOOL Relay, overload and cover kit, part number: AP3083556

But the next item in the list (didn't notice it before) is AP3885081 is the starting device kit for the compressor:
Part Details - WHIRLPOOL Starting device kit, compressor, part number: AP3885081

Is there a difference? Off the cuff I'd guess the latter comes with the housing but otherwise looks similar. I'm assuming I should go with the latter for the complete kit?

Thanks!
richappy  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 20, 2010 12:24:20 AM(UTC)
richappy

I would go with the kit I mentioned, cheaper and the start device is very reliable. However, if you originally had a white box with the klixon and start device inside, I would go with the kit that contains the same part, just easier to install, particularly if you had a run capacitor to plug into it. In my experience, the small, black start device is more reliable. The latter kit contains both types, probably worth the extra cost. Either kit should contain installation instructions.
bthlonewolf  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 1:19:24 PM(UTC)
bthlonewolf

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
I would go with the kit I mentioned, cheaper and the start device is very reliable. However, if you originally had a white box with the klixon and start device inside, I would go with the kit that contains the same part, just easier to install, particularly if you had a run capacitor to plug into it.

All set, I'm up and running!

I ended up going with the bigger kit, although the the first one I mentioned and you recommended would've been cheaper/easier now having done it. Lots of left over parts ...

The only thing I couldn't do is get the black cover on. I'm guessing it does technically fit, but given the wire lengths/etc., there was no way to get it on without serious modification (there was no cover on the original). Not sure if this is a big deal?

Thanks much the advice -- it's only been running an hour or so but sounds just fine so far, really glad this was an easy repair.
richappy  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 6:04:37 PM(UTC)
richappy

Glad you got it running. In case of a thermal overload, lack of a cover will prevent the klixon from cutting out sooner, but for "normal " operation, it will be ok.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply