Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CranMalReign  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 17, 2010 5:42:58 PM(UTC)
CranMalReign

Groups: Registered

Hi there!

Recently, my fridge has been clicking when the compressor starts up. There does not appear to be any loss of cooling in the fridge or freezer, just the clicking noise. I did a little research and determined that the start relay likely needs to be replaced. I entered my model number (ET1MHKXMQ03) into this website and came up with part #AP3601983 (Part Details - WHIRLPOOL Relay-start, part number: AP3601983).

The shipping was lightning fast and, from what I could tell, the replacement should be pretty easy. I was dismayed, however, to find nothing like the part I received already in the fridge. After taking things apart and a lot of swearing, I couldn't find anything that looked like this part nor any place where it could fit. Sure, it looks like it serves the same purpose as the part I have (based on prongs, plug holes, etc), but it definitely does not fit.

A little more searching around, and I found something on this website that actually looks exactly like what I have in my fridge: part #[FONT=&quot]AP3885081 ([/FONT]Part Details - WHIRLPOOL Starting device kit, compressor, part number: AP3885081[FONT=&quot]). Unfortunately, despite being the only thing I found that actually looks like the part I'm trying to replace in my fridge, my model is nowhere to be found in the very extensive list of supported models on that page.

Is there some sort of mistake or discrepancy that I am missing? Will the 2nd part work in my fridge, or is it a waste of time/money and I should just get a serviceman in since I'm not capable of finding where my first purchased part goes.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
[/FONT]
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 18, 2010 1:06:14 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Does the part look like a rectangular, white plastic part which has a two pin socket and pins for the run capacitor to plug in? I checked two other sites and they show a separate start relay and overload klyxon. If not the complete assembly in one box, you will have problems installing it.
CranMalReign  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 18, 2010 4:52:03 AM(UTC)
CranMalReign

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Does the part look like a rectangular, white plastic part which has a two pin socket and pins for the run capacitor to plug in? I checked two other sites and they show a separate start relay and overload klyxon. If not the complete assembly in one box, you will have problems installing it.

Thanks for the quick reply. The part I have indeed looks like the little white box you describe. It's essentially the #3 picture at the link I provided above, with the capacitor plutting into it. Without reopening my fridge, however, I thought it had three holes to plug into the compressor, not 2 (which is another reason why the part I ordered does not fit... it only has 2). Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks!
richappy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 18, 2010 5:21:37 AM(UTC)
richappy

Your start device is ok, you have a hard starting compressor, or a low differential cold control. Your present start device does not make noises like that. If it was bad, the compressor would never start up and all you would get is the compressor kicking out the klixon on high current. The clicking noise is coming from your klixon overload device, a thin, white item inside your original, white box plugged into the compressor.
If your cold control is acting "normal", ie. no erratic behavior, I would go with the hard starting compressor, drawing excessive current at start up.
You might want to get service on this, but do NOT allow the use of a 3 n 1 hard start device on this modern fridg, will lead to compressor failure without warning.
To confirm the above, I would pull the back off the fridg. and unplug it. After a while when the compressor is cooled down, plug it in. The compressor will probably try to start, then klick off, then try again till it starts running.
CranMalReign  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 18, 2010 5:41:29 AM(UTC)
CranMalReign

Thanks again on the quick reply and for your help. Bummer that it's not something I can/should fix myself. Was hoping to save a few bucks. I did actually have that little box pulled completely apart and put back together, however, but it's probably not best to play with fire. It was a minor miracle the fridge started up again, I think. :D

Thanks again.
CranMalReign  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 19, 2010 5:21:22 AM(UTC)
CranMalReign

To confirm the above, I would pull the back off the fridg. and unplug it. After a while when the compressor is cooled down, plug it in. The compressor will probably try to start, then klick off, then try again till it starts running.

I do notice that the fridge sometimes makes several attempts to start the compressor. I guess that confirms your suspicions.

The clicking noise is coming from your klixon overload device, a thin, white item inside your original, white box plugged into the compressor.
If your cold control is acting "normal", ie. no erratic behavior, I would go with the hard starting compressor, drawing excessive current at start up.
You might want to get service on this, but do NOT allow the use of a 3 n 1 hard start device on this modern fridg, will lead to compressor failure without warning.

Just one more question, though... if the problem is a piece inside that white device, why wouldn't just replacing the whole device fix the problem? Why pay a technician a ton of money to unplug a piece and plug another one in when I pretty much already did it once? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks again for all of your help!!!
richappy  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 19, 2010 6:45:04 AM(UTC)
richappy

All the evidence points to a problem with the compressor. Most people who have this problem just replace the whole start device and hope for the best. I encourage you to do that, worth a try, you might find a burnt wire, or just a bad klixon, though rather rare.
If you have a meter, you can check your old start device. Take apart the box and measure across the round disk, should be 5 to 12 ohms. The klixon should be around zero. If everything checks out ok, you have a hard starting compressor.
I have an article, "replacing compressor start devices" but never mentioned it as you would not be able to use it without a meter.
CranMalReign  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 19, 2010 3:59:24 PM(UTC)
CranMalReign

Hey there. Just took everything apart again and measured the resistance across the parts you suggested. On the round disk, that came up about 7.2 ohms. The klixon came up about 0.2 or 0.3 ohms.

I'm assuming this means my compressor is bad? If so, bummer, b/c getting a guy in to replace that will probably end up costing as much as it was to get the fridge in the first place, I imagine. Or at least close to it.
richappy  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 20, 2010 12:19:49 AM(UTC)
richappy

In all this, I assume you are getting full 115 volts to the compressor when it is hard starting, if so, that would exhaust all checks and confirm a bad compressor, sorry.
richappy  
#10 Posted : Monday, December 20, 2010 3:29:21 AM(UTC)
richappy

One last thought. You might try a GE start device WR07X10051 You have a marginal starting problem. This device is about 5 ohm cold versus your device which is 7.5 ohm. This just might solve your problem. I have done this in the past and it worked! Please keep us posted. Also, add a 1000 joule surge protector to prevent further damage to your start winding.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply