Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Garfieldltd  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2010 1:33:07 PM(UTC)
Garfieldltd

Groups: Registered

Hi, the fresh food section in my refrigerator is not cold enough. It stays at 55 degrees no matter what I do. I
have replaced the defrost heater to no effect. I also notice that there is surging sound when the fan kicks on in the freezer section. Can you advice on which part could be failing? Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2010 2:30:53 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Remove the rear panel in the freezer and check how the fan is working and how the evaporator coils are covered with snow. Post the results.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for General Electric GSL25JFPHBS Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
Garfieldltd  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2010 4:12:08 PM(UTC)
Garfieldltd

Hi Gene, thanks for the quick reply. Prior to my replacing of the heater, I've discovered that the coil was totally iced over and someone suggested that I measured the resistance on the heater which was open instead of 22 OHMs. The fridge is running with the new heater for the past 36 hours with no frost but the fresh food side is still not cold enough (55 degrees). I did not check the fan though. Are there other things that I should check for? Thanks.
fillthebarman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2010 4:25:04 PM(UTC)
fillthebarman

You might check to make sure there is nothing blocking the flow of air throught the frig and also the temp setting.
kayakcrzy  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 2, 2010 2:11:48 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

Originally Posted by: Garfieldltd Go to Quoted Post
Hi, the fresh food section in my refrigerator is not cold enough. It stays at 55 degrees no matter what I do. I
have replaced the defrost heater to no effect. I also notice that there is surging sound when the fan kicks on in the freezer section. Can you advice on which part could be failing? Thanks.

That would be the motherboard. Everything comes throgh the motherboard. It is located on the backside of the refrigerator, behind a panel. It is easy to replace. Do that, and you will have it. Tom Appliance Educator, Appliance Parts, Washer and Dryer Parts, Refridgerator and Freezer Parts, Stove and Oven Parts
Garfieldltd  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 2, 2010 6:21:04 AM(UTC)
Garfieldltd

Thanks for the feedback. I've ordered a new motherboard and will replace it. Btw, I recall that we had this board replaced 2 years ago by GE repair for the same problem. Does anyone know the warranty duration for this motherboard? It seems to have a fairly short lifespan. Thanks.
Gene  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 2, 2010 12:02:19 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: Garfieldltd Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the feedback. I've ordered a new motherboard and will replace it. Btw, I recall that we had this board replaced 2 years ago by GE repair for the same problem. Does anyone know the warranty duration for this motherboard? It seems to have a fairly short lifespan. Thanks.

Be advised that if the evaporator fan motor is bad, it will kill the new control board. They have to be replaced together.

Gene.
Garfieldltd  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 2, 2010 4:14:20 PM(UTC)
Garfieldltd

Hi, is there a way to test the evaporator fan to determine if it is bad? Thanks.
Gene  
#9 Posted : Friday, December 3, 2010 2:33:04 PM(UTC)
Gene

You can find some useful information as well as some instructions in one of our previous threads: http://forum.appliancepartspros...or-test-replacement.html

Gene.
Garfieldltd  
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2010 5:34:55 AM(UTC)
Garfieldltd

Hi, I just want to provide feedback on the repair result. I've replaced the mother board and verified the evaporator is good. The fresh food side is cool now. There is one thing I notice after the repair was made is that it makes a loud clunk sound when the compressor stops. This did not happen before. Does anyone has any thoughts on what could have caused this noise? Thanks.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply