Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gmilo2  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 1, 2010 10:03:30 AM(UTC)
gmilo2

Groups: Registered

GE Refrigerator Model GSH25KGRBWW / S/N: HG256461 .. The refrigerator side is freezing. The damper door is open, so I manually closed it part way, unplugged/plugged in the fridge. The door does not move. Checked the resistance:

*red+blue = infinite
*white+blue = 400 ohms
yellow+red = 400 ohms
yellow+white = infinite
red+white = infinite
yellow+blue = infinite

I read somewhere that the resistances to check are the two starred ones. Can I say for sure that the damper assembly is bad or do I need to check voltages at the control board too?

Also, couldn't I also set the damper door about half way open, leave it, and set the LED refrigerator setting to '1' or lowest and forget about repairing it (assuming the door position gives me the rough temperature I want) ?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 2, 2010 2:38:31 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric GSH25KGRBWW Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is a manual. It does not specifically list your unit but I think parts of it will apply to yours
31-9072 Arctica Profile GE Side-by-Side Refrigerator Service Manual - ApplianceDigest.com
You may have to join the site to download the manual but it is free and a good site to belong to.

See Page 48 in the manual with luck it will match yours.

I would give repairing it another shot, hopefully the manual will help.

Yes you could set the damper and then let the unit manually adjust the fresh food temperature. I think I would unplug the damper just to make sure it stays at that position. With luck GE does not monitor this.

I would get a thermometer and place it in the fridge till you you have confidence that it will hold the 40 degrees F recommended temperature.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
gmilo2  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 4, 2010 2:32:26 PM(UTC)
gmilo2

Thanks for responding. I noticed that the two resistors near J2 don't seem to be burned, but there is a small part on the main board that partially melted (near J3). It looks like an IC chip, anyway it shows connections to J3 pins 1-4 which go to the damper. Maybe the damper motor shorted, I don't know but not good to see a melted/burned part on the board.

Also, the evaporator fan stopped working. I am thinking of replacing the main control board, the evaporator fan and damper motor assembly. Am I on the right track? I can't finish testing all the evaporator fan steps because whenever I check voltages on J2, the compressor restarts after sparking. I've read on here that it can be a good idea to replace the board and evaporator fan together. I'm a little iffy on the damper motor - if there was some way I could bench test it but I don't know how to hook the wires to a battery. The thermistors are all good. Any further suggestions?
denman  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2010 9:29:03 AM(UTC)
denman

On the damper you could check the motor windings for resistance see Page 48 in the manual.

Also check one winding to the other just in case they have shorted to each other.
gmilo2  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2010 10:39:21 AM(UTC)
gmilo2

Thanks for the reply. The resistances are at 413 ohms so I assume that is okay. Can you give me more detailed instructions on how to do that winding checks to see if they have shorted to each other, where to measure it, etc. I don't know how to check if windings have shorted to each other. Wouldn't one of my resistance measurements up above been 0 or near 0 were that the case since I did every possible resistance check?

Also, since that motor is wired to the board where I indicated, is it possible that the motor could have caused that chip to burn up? I'm concerned that if I replace the board the damper motor that it could fry the board (again?).

Thanks again.
denman  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 5, 2010 11:43:38 AM(UTC)
denman

Put the meter on one of the connections and measure to the other 3,
One will give you your 413 ohms the other 2 should be infinite.
Do this for all 4 wires
[COLOR="Blue"]
Also, since that motor is wired to the board where I indicated, is it possible that the motor could have caused that chip to burn up?[/COLOR]
Yes it could if it has a problem so if you do not have confidence in the measurements then I would replace the damper if for nothing else but peace of mind.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply