Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ekoncepts  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 26, 2010 11:12:43 PM(UTC)
ekoncepts

Groups: Registered

Hi, I have read through the "sticky" on this subject, and have gained some insight into some preliminary steps, but I'm still not seeing much progress.

Hotpoint
Model # CTX18P
17.7 cu. ft.

There are some additional characters in the model number, but the plate is pretty well worn. Could be CTX18PRJ or CTX18PBJ, not sure.

Now I am very well aware that this unit is probably at the end of it's life expectancy, but I was hoping to get it to last a bit longer.

Things I have done already:

[LIST=1]
  • Cleaned dust and debris off coils under unit.
  • Removed inner freezer cover to expose coils. Found significant ice on about 1/3 of the coils, manually defrosted it, and reassembled panel.
  • Freezer fan turns good, but does not force a great deal of cool air into the fresh food compartment. The air chute seems to be clear of any blockage.
  • Compressor runs, and fan for the coils under the refrigerator also runs fine.
  • Temp in freezer is about 16 - 20 F
  • Temp in the fresh food compartment is about 46 - 48 F
  • I have the temperature controls setting set for the initial setting, damper is about 1/2 way open. (trying to stablize the temps)
  • I have not tested any electrical components as of yet.
    [/LIST]

Any additional suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,
    Harry
  • Sponsor
    See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
    #2 Posted : Sunday, November 28, 2010 6:22:53 AM(UTC)
    denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
    Here are the parts
    Replacement parts for CTX18P models | AppliancePartsPros.com

Perhaps you can tell the unit by comparing to the breakdowns.
    Odds are that most parts will be the same through the series.

Unfortunately you conclusion that it is near the end of it's life time is probably true due to

[COLOR="Blue"] 2. Removed inner freezer cover to expose coils. Found significant ice on about 1/3 of the coils, manually defrosted it, and reassembled panel.[/COLOR]

This may well be an indication of low freon.
    If the compressor runs continuously and the evaporator fan works and the evaporator coils are not heavily iced/frosted over then odds are high that the problem is in the sealed system.
    When you see only frost on the part of the coil that is closest to where the freon enters the coil then it is low freon.

Note: The evaporator coils have to be iced/frosted up to the point that the evaporator fan cannot pull air through them. If this is case then it is a defrost problem.

Low freon requires a pro to fix it and there is no guarantee that they will be able to find the leak so no guarantee on the repair.

I would double check the frost pattern now that the unit has been running for some time.
    THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
    ekoncepts  
    #3 Posted : Sunday, November 28, 2010 10:04:42 AM(UTC)
    ekoncepts

Groups: Registered

denman, thanks for the reply.

Your answer is kinda what I expected. Rechecked the coils and they appear fine at the moment. Made some more adjustments to the controls in the fresh food compartment. Opened the damper up a bit more. The freezer section is holding at about 8 - 10 F and the fresh food section is down to about 40 F. Those temps seem to be more inline with what we are used to in both sections.

I think I was relying too much on the actual settings of the controls rather than the conditions inside both compartments.

Yes, the unit is old!
    Yes, it will need to be replaced!
    Just hopefully not TOO soon.

And like you stated, even if I had a pro look at it there is no guarantees. Also, with the age of the machine it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to try and repair it.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate your time. :)

Harry
    Quick Reply Show Quick Reply