Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rjw010  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 22, 2010 12:09:29 PM(UTC)
rjw010

Groups: Registered

I had a guy come out to look at my freezer. The ice will periodically melt all over my freezer. I'll clean out the ice out of my freezer and then it will work sporadically. He said that it could be the evaporator fan motor. He said that there might be just 1 part number including the mother board and the fan motor and the cost could be $400 to $500. He is going to get back to me tomorrow. Does anyone know if this is true. I'm just always leary of repair guys taking advantage.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 23, 2010 1:28:45 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric DSS25KSRESS Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

If the unit is working OK other than the water then the first thing I would check is the drain hose (Item 225 in Section 9).

Sounds like it is plugged so that the water from the defrost cycle cannot drain into the drain pan.

I wold check that it is clear.
If plugged a turkey baster with warm water, an air compressor with low pressure or a wire can often be used to clear it.

Also check that it is not plugged with dust etc. at the drain pan end.

If it looks like stuff is growing in the tube I would flush it with a 10% bleach solution. This should kill the stuff and let you flush it out. You may have to do this several times, let it sit for 15 minutes or so between flushes.

Be careful that you do not overflow your drip tray.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
kayakcrzy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:44:34 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Originally Posted by: rjw010 Go to Quoted Post
I had a guy come out to look at my freezer. The ice will periodically melt all over my freezer. I'll clean out the ice out of my freezer and then it will work sporadically. He said that it could be the evaporator fan motor. He said that there might be just 1 part number including the mother board and the fan motor and the cost could be $400 to $500. He is going to get back to me tomorrow. Does anyone know if this is true. I'm just always leary of repair guys taking advantage.

I am a service man, so I do want to tell you, he is ripping you off. Now, the motherboard is most likely your problem. Alot of times it either shuts down the compressor, or the fan motor. Everything gets it power from the mother board. You can replace the mother board yourself. All you have to do is pull out the refrigerator, and on the back of the refrigerator is a panel. Unplug the refrigerator, and take the panel off. Once the panel is off, you will see the mother board. Don't let all the wires intimadate you. Just unplug the wiring harness, and there are 4 plastic pins that hold the mother board in place. I always squeeze the plastic pin on the left side first with a plyers, and then pull towards you on the board on that corner. You can't mess this up. The wiring harnesses, can only go back on where they came off. By the way the part # for the motherboard is WR55X10942. You can buy in on line for $125.00 to $135.00. So, you can see, how bad he is ripping you off. If you don't want to do it. Call around to your local appliance service companies, and ask them how much they would charge to put in a motherboard. Tom Appliance Educator, Appliance Parts, Washer and Dryer Parts, Refridgerator and Freezer Parts, Stove and Oven Parts
kayakcrzy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:51:09 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric DSS25KSRESS Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

If the unit is working OK other than the water then the first thing I would check is the drain hose (Item 225 in Section 9).

Sounds like it is plugged so that the water from the defrost cycle cannot drain into the drain pan.

I wold check that it is clear.
If plugged a turkey baster with warm water, an air compressor with low pressure or a wire can often be used to clear it.

Also check that it is not plugged with dust etc. at the drain pan end.

If it looks like stuff is growing in the tube I would flush it with a 10% bleach solution. This should kill the stuff and let you flush it out. You may have to do this several times, let it sit for 15 minutes or so between flushes.

Be careful that you do not overflow your drip tray.

Denman, I guess this post by this customer could go both ways. I wonder if when she say the ice melts, she means the ice in the ice maker. Not the drain being clogged. If it is the icemaker, she should follow your advise. If it is the icemaker, she should follow mine. Maam, please be more specific. We can help you. We don't want you to get ripped off!!!!!! Stay on it Denman, I have to go to work, but I will checl my IPhone, when I can. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply