Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Clyde Pringle  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 3:36:08 AM(UTC)
Clyde Pringle

Groups: Registered

My side by side refrigerator may run for a few days then stop. I notice that the refrigerator temp is around 50 degrees and the compressor is not running. If I turn the termostat to the off position and then back on again the unit starts running again, but only for a few hours and then I have to repeat the process again. the unit is in excellant condition and is used only as a backup, therefore it has very little amount of food in it. All vents are clear of obstruction and the coils are very clean. I have checked the evaporator colis and at the time were clean and clear of excessive frost.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

madman57  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 5:28:24 AM(UTC)
madman57

Originally Posted by: Clyde Pringle Go to Quoted Post
My side by side refrigerator may run for a few days then stop. I notice that the refrigerator temp is around 50 degrees and the compressor is not running. If I turn the termostat to the off position and then back on again the unit starts running again, but only for a few hours and then I have to repeat the process again. the unit is in excellant condition and is used only as a backup, therefore it has very little amount of food in it. All vents are clear of obstruction and the coils are very clean. I have checked the evaporator colis and at the time were clean and clear of excessive frost.

Had the same symptom with our Whirlpool top-freezer model for a couple of weeks. For better or worse, called the service people, friendly tech warned me it would be overly expensive. He showed me that the thermostat went bad -- just tapping it made the compressor cycle on but not for long enough. He explained the simple steps to unscrew the housing unit, swap out the new for the old thermostat, and also mentioned what else *could* go wrong, how to diagnose it, how to repair it. Basically, he was kind enough to educate me on this terribly simple replacement. The part here on applianceparts costs about $27; the service company charge me $193 (parts + labor). So that was my tuition fee, the fridge is now back to cold, and we'll be ready for the Turkey soon. Hope this helps.
Clyde Pringle  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2010 3:00:57 AM(UTC)
Clyde Pringle

Madman
That was exactly the problem. New thermostat was $85.00, but well worth it. It took me about 15 minutes to replace it and now it works like new. Thanks so much!:) :) :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply