Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PCGreg  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 11, 2010 7:17:17 PM(UTC)
PCGreg

Groups: Registered

The inlet water valve has failed 4 times on this refer in just under 10 years. Usually last about 3 years. Most recently in Aug-2010, one month after having our wood floors refinished. In just under 3 months, Nov-2010 it failed again. It over-fills the ice maker and makes a terrible mess in the freezer, not to mention the wood floor. I know it has failed as I checked the resistance across the solenoids, per your suggestion. The ice maker solenoid is shorted, zero ohms. Why does this keep happening? All vales have been factory FSP parts. Water to fridge is reverse osmosis, very clean. I'm seriously considering replacing the fridge considering this problem and the fact it is nearly 10 years old. Other than this it has worked and performed well. HELP, need some expert advice.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 12, 2010 7:42:50 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PCGreg Go to Quoted Post
The inlet water valve has failed 4 times on this refer in just under 10 years. Usually last about 3 years. Most recently in Aug-2010, one month after having our wood floors refinished. In just under 3 months, Nov-2010 it failed again. It over-fills the ice maker and makes a terrible mess in the freezer, not to mention the wood floor. I know it has failed as I checked the resistance across the solenoids, per your suggestion. The ice maker solenoid is shorted, zero ohms. Why does this keep happening? All vales have been factory FSP parts. Water to fridge is reverse osmosis, very clean. I'm seriously considering replacing the fridge considering this problem and the fact it is nearly 10 years old. Other than this it has worked and performed well. HELP, need some expert advice.

PC,

I'm surprised you don't have other complaints ?

The R O unit is the most likely of your problems ...

You need to check with the osmosis unit manufacturer / servicer, and see if they have a check valve or regulator to install on your refrigerator water supply line.

The fluctuating pressures in the R O unit, wreaks havoc on the fill valve and water system in your refrigerator.

If they have no remedies, you may want to consider a separate water supply to the fridge.

Good Luck,
:) :) :)
PS If you do remain on the R O system, Remove the water filter on the fridge,if you haven't already.
:cool: :cool: :cool:
PCGreg  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 12, 2010 10:13:07 AM(UTC)
PCGreg

Joe,

Thanks for the response. You bring up some good points to consider. But, help me here. Why would only the ice maker solenoid fail and not the water dispenser solenoid if the RO unit were reeking havoc with the valve assembly? Also, why would the ice maker solenoid fail electrically, i.e. zero ohms, dead short likely in the coil, if it were a pressure fluctuation problem with the RO unit?

Also, not sure why or how I would remove the filter. It's an integral part of the fridge, not an in-line unit on the supply line. Do they make a blank I can buy? Why would I want to do this? Wouldn't a filter in the line help dampen the pressure fluctuations caused by the RO system?

Thanks again for the help. I appreciate the alternate thoughts. You've got me thinking...;)

PC
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 12, 2010 1:35:02 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Joe,

Thanks for the response. You bring up some good points to consider. But, help me here. Why would only the ice maker solenoid fail and not the water dispenser solenoid if the RO unit were reeking havoc with the valve assembly? Also, why would the ice maker solenoid fail electrically, i.e. zero ohms, dead short likely in the coil, if it were a pressure fluctuation problem with the RO unit?

Also, not sure why or how I would remove the filter. It's an integral part of the fridge, not an in-line unit on the supply line. Do they make a blank I can buy? Why would I want to do this? Wouldn't a filter in the line help dampen the pressure fluctuations caused by the RO system?

Thanks again for the help. I appreciate the alternate thoughts. You've got me thinking...;)

PC

PC,

That's why I stated it at the start of my post, I expected you to have more than just one complaint.

But the ice maker operates or cycles more than the water valve for the dispenser(on average every 60 minutes), low water pressure can cause a solenoid to fail.

The other possibility would be a pinched or damaged wire, in the harness, but that should be the last resort(usually a non repairable situation).

As for your filter, it's located on the bottom of the unit, the 3 inch round area in the grille on the front, twist the handle 1/4 turn counterclockwise and the filter should be behind it, may even come out with the handle, you're filterring your water twice, you really don't want or need that.

I'm pretty sure, if you remove the filter, put a check valve or regulator on the RO system, you'll be good for another 8 to 10 years.

Hope this is enough information to help you.

Good Luck,

PCGreg  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 16, 2010 5:46:37 AM(UTC)
PCGreg

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
PC,

That's why I stated it at the start of my post, I expected you to have more than just one complaint.

But the ice maker operates or cycles more than the water valve for the dispenser(on average every 60 minutes), low water pressure can cause a solenoid to fail.

The other possibility would be a pinched or damaged wire, in the harness, but that should be the last resort(usually a non repairable situation).

As for your filter, it's located on the bottom of the unit, the 3 inch round area in the grille on the front, twist the handle 1/4 turn counterclockwise and the filter should be behind it, may even come out with the handle, you're filterring your water twice, you really don't want or need that.

I'm pretty sure, if you remove the filter, put a check valve or regulator on the RO system, you'll be good for another 8 to 10 years.

Hope this is enough information to help you.

Good Luck,

Joe,

Sorry, was out of town for a couple days. I really appreciate the advice. But, I'm still trying to understand how a pressure fluctuation in the water line could cause an obvious electrical failure in the ice maker solenoid. I also know we have pretty low water pressure but I do not understand how a solenoid valve could fail because of that. A solenoid valve is a pretty simple device, a mechanical plunger actuated by an electrical coil. Please help me better understand before I start buying parts.

PC
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 16, 2010 11:04:11 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Joe,

Sorry, was out of town for a couple days. I really appreciate the advice. But, I'm still trying to understand how a pressure fluctuation in the water line could cause an obvious electrical failure in the ice maker solenoid. I also know we have pretty low water pressure but I do not understand how a solenoid valve could fail because of that. A solenoid valve is a pretty simple device, a mechanical plunger actuated by an electrical coil. Please help me better understand before I start buying parts.

PC

PC,

You're sort of correct about the way, and process a fill valve solenoid operates,

What you have forgotten is,

You need to maintain a constant minimum pressure on both sides of the diaphram inside the valve(25 psi minimum with a filter system is a good rule of thumb).

Most RO systems don't maintain a constant minimum psi, and the reversal process, brings it even lower, and sometimes and in some cases, you actually achieve a vaccuum.

The lower the water pressure, the less water flow, the less water flow/pressure, the longer the solenoid windings are energized, causing a pre mature failure of the coil and a burnt out solenoid.

I believe I mentioned, in most cases your ice maker solenoid usually fails before the dispenser valve, because , it cycles approximately once every hour until the cubes trip the bale arm and shuts the unit off, where as your dispenser, cycles, on an as used basis or inconsistantly.

If you remove the water filter, your operating pressure can be as low as 20 psi and operate satisfactorily for a while.

I don't know where you're located, but where I was located and working before I came here, several of the RO system companies offerred a "check valve" or a regulator on the system to maintain a constant pressure to the refrigerator fill valve.

Here's an excerpt from a service manual, I hope may help:

Water pressure is extremely
low.

• Cut-off and cut-on pressures
are too low (well systems only).

Reverse osmosis system is in

regenerative phase.
• Have someone turn up the cut-off and cut-on pressure on
the water pump system (well systems only).

It is normal for a reverse osmosis system to be below 20
psi during the regenerative phase.

I hope this post helped explain the situation better.

:) :) :)

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply