Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hsmama11  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:43:11 AM(UTC)
hsmama11

Groups: Registered

Hello, this has been extremely frustrating, but I think I am close to nailing this one. Originally we had the classic evaporator icing up and paid a technician to come out. He replaced the defrost timer, but a week later, same issue. After manually defrosting the evaporator, everything seemed to be fine, but, alas, another week went by and the evaporator was frozen again. I have read many helpful tips here and the defrost heater measured about 30 ohms and I ordered a defrost thermostat. While waiting for that part to arrive, I decided to turn the freezer temp control to OFF. Low and behold, the system stayed on. I have a second refrigerator of the same model and it definitely shuts off immediately upon turning the control to OFF. So, maybe the temperature control in the freezer is bad? Or is there possibly some other part that is shorted, etc.? BTW, when there is no frozen evaporator, the temperatures are correct. The freezer seems extremely cold (due to never shutting off.) Thank you very much for any help here!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:01:15 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

Did your service tech test the defrost timer? There are several potential causes for frost build-up in a freezer. The first place I would check is the airflow. Set your controls at midrange and leave it in that condition for at least 24 hours. Then take the temperatures inside the freezer and the refrigerator. Let us know what you find. If you see frost in the freezer, tell us whether it is a snowy frost, or a solid ice.
hsmama11  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:15:38 AM(UTC)
hsmama11

Thank you for the quick reply. When it freezes up, it is definitely like "snow" and not ice. I believe it is due to the fact that the system never shuts off, unless on the defrost cycle. My main concern is that when I turn the freezer dial to "OFF" the system continues to run. My other refrigerator of the same model will instantly stop running when set to OFF in the freezer. This one just keeps right on running unless I unplug it.
magician59  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:57:45 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

That leads me to believe you have either a faulty defrost timer, or a bad freezer temperature control. But I would still check the air flow system, which includes your damper, and any return air duct, to make sure they're clear; as well as the evaporator fan, to make sure it runs when your compressor runs.
Also look for any obvious openings or gaps in the door seals
davidusr  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 6:33:28 AM(UTC)
davidusr

Originally Posted by: hsmama11 Go to Quoted Post
Hello, this has been extremely frustrating, but I think I am close to nailing this one. Originally we had the classic evaporator icing up and paid a technician to come out. He replaced the defrost timer, but a week later, same issue. After manually defrosting the evaporator, everything seemed to be fine, but, alas, another week went by and the evaporator was frozen again. I have read many helpful tips here and the defrost heater measured about 30 ohms and I ordered a defrost thermostat. While waiting for that part to arrive, I decided to turn the freezer temp control to OFF. Low and behold, the system stayed on. I have a second refrigerator of the same model and it definitely shuts off immediately upon turning the control to OFF. So, maybe the temperature control in the freezer is bad? Or is there possibly some other part that is shorted, etc.? BTW, when there is no frozen evaporator, the temperatures are correct. The freezer seems extremely cold (due to never shutting off.) Thank you very much for any help here!

Did you ever find a solution to this problem. I work at an apartment property that has these fridges, and I have 3 that are doing the same problem...compressor runs 24-7, regardless of the controls being on or off. If I turn the controls off, the fan turns off, but compressor continues to run.
shib  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2015 8:15:27 AM(UTC)
shib

I have this exact problem as well.
shib  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2015 8:16:14 AM(UTC)
shib

I have this exact problem as well.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply