Discuss

1 year old Elite Side by Side stopped working after move

in

Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

. "

I moved a little more than a year ago. Two months prior to that I had a moving company place

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair » 1 year old Elite Side by Side stopped working after move

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 11:21 AM

patriot457 is on a distinguished road
Default 1 year old Elite Side by Side stopped working after move
Brand: Kenmore   Age: 1 - 5 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

I moved a little more than a year ago. Two months prior to that I had a moving company place much of my house hold effects into storage including my (at the time) 1.5 year old Kenmore Elite Side by Side. When we got our stuff out of storage the refridgerator wouldn't cool. Everything seems to be running but it doesn't cool. I had a Sears repairman over and he said after about 2 minutes of looking at the machine that it was either the controller or the compressor and it was goint to cost at least $700 to repair.

Does he know what he was talking about?

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 11-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

denman is a splendid one to behold

A Model number may help others help you.

I am assuming by no cooling you mean both the fresh food and freezer sides.

Whether he knows what he is talking about I do not know as I am here and he actually saw the unit.

When you say everything is running, is the compressor running?

If yes, then it could be the compressor or you are out of freon or low on freon or there is a plug in the sealed system.
All of these will be expensive repairs.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:07 PM

DaveEgen is on a distinguished road

Same Problems with 3 year old kenmore elite side by side stopped working after move and storage. model number 10655603400. Cooling fan is running and the compressor is hot to the touch. Temp inside refridge. is a cool 68 degrees. Freezer is about 6 degrees cooler at 60. Touch controls do not change the temp and air is cirulating in side both freezer and refridge. Can you help?
Old 07-26-2011, 03:55 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

DaveEgen.

If the compressor is running continuously (you should also hear it and feel it vibrating), then you have a sealed system problem and it will be an expensive repair as you need a pro.

To double check this remove the cover inside the freezer so you can inspect the evaporator coils. If they have no frost or just frost in one area (Usually where the freon enters the coils) then it is a sealed system problem for sure.

Note: Make sure the unit has run a couple hours before checking. If you check just after a defrost cycle then there would be no frost due to defrost.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:21 AM

Thanks for advice. I'll pull the freezer panel and see if there are any frosty areas on the coils.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:44 PM

Just checked and you are correct the copper line connected to the freezer coil was frozen. I plugged the Frigeerator all night. Per your last note, this will be expensive...any idea how much? Should I just purchase a 12 month service agreement for $250?
Thanks, DaveEgen
Old 07-28-2011, 02:47 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Per your last note, this will be expensive...any idea how much?
Not really as it depends on what is the cause.

Should I just purchase a 12 month service agreement for $250?
I am assuming that Sears suggested this.
There are a couple things to be careful of.

If they just add freon then this is not worth it as it could also cost you a hundreds of dollars in frozen food if/when (most likely when) it happens again.
If they fix the problem and repair the problem then this is a good deal.
So it depends on how good the local Sears techs are.

You either have a leak or a plugged orifice.
So they have to find and repair the leak before refilling and that may not be possible.
The leak may be in the tubing where they cannot get to it, this is unlikely but can happen.
The Sears guy said that the compressor needed replacing so I assume he thinks that is where the leak is but it does not sound like he did any real troubleshooting.

I took a look at what I think is the manual for this unit and it says the sealed system has a 5 year warranty and you said it is 3 years old so I would check into the warranty.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:02 PM

Thanks again. Repair guy is scheduled for Monday.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.