Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jrpgators  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2010 1:19:03 PM(UTC)
jrpgators

Groups: Registered

Using Troubleshooting Guide No Help---- Ie Turned On, Water Coming In, Drain Cap On Good, Drains Fine ( Gravity) And Clean Light Not Flashing, ( Cleaned Several Times Just In Case) And Also In Clean Cycle It Is Supposed To Go Through Diagnostics 1st With Led Flash 2 Or 5 Times If A Thermistor At Fault. No Flashing. Repairman Put In New Starter Relay And Said Ok, Compressor Now Running. Didn't Sound Any Different To Me, But.... Comp. Gets Warm And Water Flows Over The Plate And Never Stops Or Gets Colder. 'tech' Thinks It Might Be Control Panel Or Low Freon. Unit Only Running 3 Years.
Hate To Pay For Guessing And Parts By The Hour, Suggestions?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2010 3:08:27 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jrpgators Go to Quoted Post
Using Troubleshooting Guide No Help---- Ie Turned On, Water Coming In, Drain Cap On Good, Drains Fine ( Gravity) And Clean Light Not Flashing, ( Cleaned Several Times Just In Case) And Also In Clean Cycle It Is Supposed To Go Through Diagnostics 1st With Led Flash 2 Or 5 Times If A Thermistor At Fault. No Flashing. Repairman Put In New Starter Relay And Said Ok, Compressor Now Running. Didn't Sound Any Different To Me, But.... Comp. Gets Warm And Water Flows Over The Plate And Never Stops Or Gets Colder. 'tech' Thinks It Might Be Control Panel Or Low Freon. Unit Only Running 3 Years.
Hate To Pay For Guessing And Parts By The Hour, Suggestions?

JR,

He could be correct, you may have a bad control board.

But , I would have him check the evaporator thermistor resistance and make sure it did not get knocked off the evaporator, the reversing valve sloenoid for proper operation.

Basic ice maker operation:

Bin thermistor tells the control to make ice

Control tells the compressor, fill valve and recirculating pump to run fill and cool.

The water running over the plate cools and eventually creates a slap of ice.

The evaporator thermistor resistance changes and tells the control that there's a slab of ice on the plate.

The control tells the reversing valve to open, causing hot refrigerant to flow through the evaporator, and loosen the slab of ice at it slips off the plate and onto the cutter grid, and cuts the slab into cubes.

The process repeats, until the bin thermistor tells the control the bin is full, and the ice making process ceases until the other bin thermistor tells the control it needs ice.

So if the evaporator thermistor is out of range, came off the evaporator, loose connection, etc.

Or if the reversing valve is not shutting completely, your machine will not chill and produce the ice slab.

Hope this helps ?

:cool: :cool: :cool:
jrpgators  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2010 5:47:31 PM(UTC)
jrpgators

Groups: Registered

thanks, i have and can use an ohm/volt meter, and i don't really think my tech has or uses one, i think from the way it runs it never gets to the point where the circuit board would reverse the flow of the freon. i'll check for loose connection, ohms on the thermistor. if it was the bin therm. saying 'full' would keep ice from being made BUT it would not start the cycle to make ice , as it does, so it very well could be the ice control thermistor. if the reversing valve was stuck in the heat position, the plate should get warm enough to melt the ice and it doesn't.
after running for an hour (about) the water has gone from tap 'cold' to only room temp, as is the plate. if the ice control thermistor reads ok then i guess maybe the circuit board has gone bad. sound logical? tech also is thinking the system might have a very slow leak of freon. but since it just stopped making ice all at once that sounds more like an electronic failure rather than a slow leak ie would think it would begin to take longer and longer to make ice if there was a freon leak. it worked normal one day and the next it didn't ( that was months ago, have just let it sit as the frig makes more ice than we typically use. ) again, thanks for the run down and advice.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 8, 2010 7:18:54 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jrpgators Go to Quoted Post
thanks, i have and can use an ohm/volt meter, and i don't really think my tech has or uses one, i think from the way it runs it never gets to the point where the circuit board would reverse the flow of the freon. i'll check for loose connection, ohms on the thermistor. if it was the bin therm. saying 'full' would keep ice from being made BUT it would not start the cycle to make ice , as it does, so it very well could be the ice control thermistor. if the reversing valve was stuck in the heat position, the plate should get warm enough to melt the ice and it doesn't.
after running for an hour (about) the water has gone from tap 'cold' to only room temp, as is the plate. if the ice control thermistor reads ok then i guess maybe the circuit board has gone bad. sound logical? tech also is thinking the system might have a very slow leak of freon. but since it just stopped making ice all at once that sounds more like an electronic failure rather than a slow leak ie would think it would begin to take longer and longer to make ice if there was a freon leak. it worked normal one day and the next it didn't ( that was months ago, have just let it sit as the frig makes more ice than we typically use. ) again, thanks for the run down and advice.

JR,

Your theory is pretty much on target.

Your bin thermistor is OK,

Your evaporator thermistor needs to be mounted properly on the evaporator, in order to transfer the proper resistance reading to the control board.

As for the reversing valve, it may not be stuck open, but it could have a minor , slight leak, from the valve body not seating completely.

Some guys like to tap the valve body, while the unit is running, wait a few minutes, to see if the evaporator, starts to frost.

It could be a control board, but I would be doing these checks first.

Good Luck,
:cool: :cool: :cool:
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2021 8:47:09 PM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I just unearthed my Kenmore stand alone ice maker from 1999, I let it run a few mins, but no lines were cold some were hot and the inside was hot. My question is , how long will refrigerant last being stored Ian’s not running, does it have to have water running to it to be cold?
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2021 8:49:04 PM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I just unearthed my Kenmore stand alone ice maker from 1999, I let it run a few mins, but no lines were cold some were hot and the inside was hot. My question is , how long will refrigerant last being stored Ian’s not running, does it have to have water running to it to be cold?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply