Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bigdogstep  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 4, 2010 6:13:27 AM(UTC)
bigdogstep

Groups: Registered

Good morning, all. Newbie to this forum. I searched first, but didn't find a topic exaclty like mine.

Out of nowhere, the water dispenser started making a loud vibrating rattle whenever you actuate the water dispenser. I also heard the same noise when the icemaker tries to fill. I checked all the connections, etc., but nothing seems out of whack. I am suspecting the valve. What do you think?

Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 4, 2010 6:59:22 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

The valve is a very good place to start. First check to see if you are getting water to the valve. If you are, testing the valve with a test cord (easy to make) is the next step.
bigdogstep  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 4, 2010 7:04:54 AM(UTC)
bigdogstep

How does one make the test cord to which you refer?

[edit] I found your post in another thread that explains the test cord procedure. Nothing like playing with water and 120 Volts. gotta love it!! Thanks. I'll give it a try.
magician59  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 4, 2010 7:18:26 AM(UTC)
magician59

Simply cut the female end off an extra extension cord and split the cord to separate the hot from the neutral wires. Either crimp on appropriately sized connectors for the spade terminals you're going to test, or merely keep them bare. Twist the ends, so that stray strands from one don't come into contact with the other.

Remove the valve body from the regrigerator and disconnect the water lines that lead to the water fountian and ice maker, but leave the feed line attached. Place the valve into a large pitcher or bucket to catch water.

Attach the test cord to the terminals of each solenoid of the valve, one side at a time. Plug the cord in, just long enough to see if water flows through the side being tested. Repeat for the other solenoid.

If you get water through both sides of the valve, the valve is good. If you don't get water through either of the solenoids, replace the valve.

Let us know what you find.
bigdogstep  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 11, 2010 10:05:22 AM(UTC)
bigdogstep

I discovered the cause of the problem: the filter.
After I replaced the inlet valve because it was not pumping out water on test, the noise was still there!?!?!
Tracked down the noise to the filter. Apparently, it was clogged to the point of not allowing water to pass through, thereby causing a loud vibrating racket.
Replacing the filter stopped the noise and got the water flowing freely (and quietly) again.

Thanks.:cool:
magician59  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 11, 2010 10:12:18 AM(UTC)
magician59

Glad you got it fixed...well done!. Sorry the filter check didn't come up as a first suggestion :(...could have saved you the cost of a new valve.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply