Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WI_Badger  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 1, 2008 8:18:49 AM(UTC)
WI_Badger

Groups: Registered

I just became the unexpected owner of a Kenmore chest freezer. This is what I get for having a big truck, and a friend who needed to pickup a new freezer. The story on the on old freezer is that it was only three years old, and stopped working. A repair tech told them that the starter relay had failed, and that it was a discontinued part. The Sears Parts Direct website seems to support this.

Sears Parts Direct Model# 183.13601300

The tech told them he could find a generic replacement, and fix it all for $200. They had a line on a larger upright freezer for free, so they went that route. I took the Kenmore off their hands thinking that I would either fix it myself, or send it to the graveyard.

I have done some searching online and have come up dry on finding a replacement part. I have included pictures of the parts in question as well as pics of the compressor.

I realize there may be a chance there is more wrong here than the relay, but I did notice this: The insulating boots on the blue and brown wires that go from the relay to the capacitor where very discolored from heat. This would lead me to believe that the relay has been getting very hot.

I tried to call Appliance Parts Pro this morning, but it would seem that they are no longer offering Saturday hours.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank!!
WI_Badger attached the following image(s):
DSC00326.jpg
DSC00327.jpg
DSC00329.jpg
DSC00333.jpg
DSC00334.jpg
DSC00335.jpg
DSC00336.jpg
DSC00337.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 1, 2008 11:48:31 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

That freezer unit was made by Haier, I would recommend using an generic start device part AP3540667 or a 3 n 1 hard start(ommitting the present capacitor) AP3540659.

Hope that helps you a little.

Nat
WI_Badger  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:20:38 AM(UTC)
WI_Badger

Nat,

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to going with a 3 in 1 instead of replacing just the relay? Will it make any difference in the operation and longevity of the freezer. Also, since I now know this is made by Haier should I maybe go to them for the OEM part?

Thanks

Badger
v2k04  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2008 6:58:40 AM(UTC)
v2k04

Good luck with that! Haier makes the crap and then doesn't supply any support or parts to fix em when they break.You could go to a junk yard that scraps appliances and start pulling the relays off of them and put one on and see if it runs The compressor may not handle a 3n1 for very long but it would be the easy way of getting it fixed Haier is junk made in china and personnaly I wouldn't risk filling a haier freezer full of food becuse they are such crappy appliances. even tho its only three years old it wasn't made to last much longer than that Its cheap crap made in china and I don't know why anybody would even buy something like that. GE parts seem to fit and work on Haiers. After Sears found that out what junk a haier was they quit putting their name on it.
WI_Badger  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 3:54:52 PM(UTC)
WI_Badger

Update: I installed the Supco Relay/Overload Protector (not the 3 in 1) and plugged the freezer in. The compressor blew up in my face, and I am now being rushed to the hospital... okay, yes I am kidding. Seriously, the compressor is now making a low buzzing noise that sounds a bit like an electric motor under load trying to turn without success. Sometimes it turns a little faster, and then slows down again. Is the ZEL compressor shot? Or is there something else I should look at. Yes, I know I should just junk the thing since (according to the last post) Hiaer makes, well Junk. I am however willing to pursue fixing this a little longer before I go to sears and plunk down some money on a new freezer. This one was free, and thus far I only have 20 minutes and $16 into it. I view this as a little bit of cheap entertainment, since I pride myself on being able to fix things instead of sending them to the land fill. I am sure some of you out there may view my pursuit as some sort of strange self punishment. In any case, anyone that can offer any help or guidance on this little project of mine would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

WI Badger
:confused:
Jimer  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2008 9:10:37 AM(UTC)
Jimer

We are having the exact problem - the relay rattles and the cover looks like it got very hot. We called Sears and they are supposed to research and get back to us. We will see - we have no working freezer and company coming for the holidays.
libertyappl  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2008 9:41:11 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

WI-badger,
If the unit is humming then the compressor itself is shot and whould require replacement. Recommend just taking it the the graveyard, as you so put it.

Jimer,
Please post your model number, since Kenmore doesn't make anything it's hard to say which part you may need. Although a relay is a definate!

Nat
Jimer  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2008 1:24:37 PM(UTC)
Jimer

LibertyApp,
The freezer is 3.5 years old
Freezer model 183.13601300
Relay part #rf-0010-65
It's the same one that WI-badger posted above.
Also the blue and brown wires are discolored.
This freezer will probably also end up junked- too bad.
Thanks,
Jimer
WI_Badger  
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2008 9:35:38 AM(UTC)
WI_Badger

Hey all... The freezer is fixed and has been running for about a month now. The solution was to install a 3 in 1 Relay kit (Part# AP3540659). I have two theories of thought regarding this fix.

1. I was told that refrigeration systems sometimes get overcharged at the factory thus making them harder to start, and that the 3 in 1 Relay/Hard Start kit can overcome this.

2. The two discolored(over heated) wires were the ones that go to the original capacitor. It may be that the original capacitor was weak/failed, and thus caused the freezer to stop working.

Now although I don't disagree with Libertyappl about these being a very cheaply made unit, instead of sending it to the appliance graveyard (landfill), I now have a functional freezer for a total investment of $20 in parts. I fully expect that this freezer will not last 5 years, but for now it is doing just fine. Hope this helps.

Badger
GTS_NY  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:39:05 AM(UTC)
GTS_NY

Originally Posted by: WI_Badger Go to Quoted Post
Hey all... The freezer is fixed and has been running for about a month now. The solution was to install a 3 in 1 Relay kit (Part# AP3540659). I have two theories of thought regarding this fix.

1. I was told that refrigeration systems sometimes get overcharged at the factory thus making them harder to start, and that the 3 in 1 Relay/Hard Start kit can overcome this.

2. The two discolored(over heated) wires were the ones that go to the original capacitor. It may be that the original capacitor was weak/failed, and thus caused the freezer to stop working.

Now although I don't disagree with Libertyappl about these being a very cheaply made unit, instead of sending it to the appliance graveyard (landfill), I now have a functional freezer for a total investment of $20 in parts. I fully expect that this freezer will not last 5 years, but for now it is doing just fine. Hope this helps.

Badger

WI_BADGER: I have exactly the freezer and problem. I'm hoping you can tell me where you order the part. Thanks.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply