Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lance01  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2008 8:20:36 AM(UTC)
Lance01

Groups: Registered

Just received a new motor module from you guys this week. Order nbr 481575, Motor Module part number 820515, refrigerator model nbr 106.53594300, serial number SP1847076.

The old motor module was producing ice, but was not kicking it out. Something within the old module gear drive train was stripped out.

The new motor module is producing and kicking out ice. But the new gear drive seems to be spinning too fast because the ice is actually half ice and half water. The ice does not have enough time to freeze before being kicked out.

Is there an adjustment that I need to make to slow down the new module? There is a white plastic adjustment screw on the right side of the module, but I'm not sure what is does.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Lance
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Richmaytag  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 1, 2008 6:49:26 PM(UTC)
Richmaytag

The little white screw on the side of the icemaker is for the size of the icecube. It regulates the amount of time that the inlet water solenoid is open - the longer the valve is open the more water enters the tray and the bigger the ice cube.

There is a thermostat in the icecube tray. When the contents of the tray hit about 15 degrees (when the water is actually frozen), the thermostat closes and starts the cycle - motor turns on to eject cubes, heat winding goes on to unstick the cubes, cubes pop out, water enters tray and then cycle stops till next "turn on" cycle by therm. If your therm is closing prematurely, the water is not given chance to freeze properly and you get what you are getting.
Gene  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 1, 2008 7:18:05 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I always recommend to replace the whole ice maker instead of trying to fix an old one. At first it looks cheaper, but because of the very low success rate most people end up spending more. At this point I agree with Richmaytag about the thermostat failure.

Gene.
Lance01  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2008 5:27:34 AM(UTC)
Lance01

Thanks guys. Two questions.

Adjustment screw : which direction do I turn it to increase the flow of water?

Thermostat : It does sound logical that the thermostat is closing to soon. Knowing that the ice cubes have always been completely frozen before being kicked into the tray until replacing the module last week, it seems my first option is to send back the module as defective.

Thanks again.

Lance
Gene  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2008 12:52:44 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: Lance01 Go to Quoted Post
1 Adjustment screw : which direction do I turn it to increase the flow of water?

2 Thermostat : It does sound logical that the thermostat is closing to soon. Knowing that the ice cubes have always been completely frozen before being kicked into the tray until replacing the module last week, it seems my first option is to send back the module as defective.

Hi Lance,

1 CCW to increase, CW to decrease and no more than revolution is possible or you'll break it.

2 The motor in the module operates by the thermostat. I do not think your problem has anything to do with the module. It could be the thermostat or the mold heater.

Gene.
Lance01  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 6:47:59 AM(UTC)
Lance01

Thanks Gene.

Sorry to ask so many questions. But I have more. Where exactly is the thermostat? Is it built into the tray? Can I adjust it?

Also, I know the heating element is working. Do you think it may be getting to hot?

Thanks
Lance01  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 7:10:11 AM(UTC)
Lance01

Gene, now I'm being a real pain since I just sent you a couple of questions. This info may help. When using my old motor module, the ice is fully frozen when kicked out. The only problem with the old module was that the gearing somehow got stripped.

Thanks
Richmaytag  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 8:47:55 AM(UTC)
Richmaytag

Gene has been very helpful when he told you that it was the thermostat. The module has the motor and the cam which controls the sequence of events formerly alluded to when I wrote previously.

The thermostat is not adjustable - it either opens or closes - period; it closes the complete the circuit and turns on the motor when it gets cold enough. It is located in the end tray plate under the motor module you just replaced. When properly positioned it abuts right up next to the water/ice tray and the adjacent temps trigger its operation. It runs about 16 bucks.
Gene  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 1:33:30 PM(UTC)
Gene

Lance,

Just to add my 2 cents to Rich's reply...

You said: "...I know the heating element is working...". Well, it suppose to work for a couple seconds only, right before ice cubes start to eject. If it's working more, then this is the problem.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply