Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kylevidrine  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2010 11:59:36 AM(UTC)
kylevidrine

Groups: Registered

My ice maker just quit working. I am pretty good at troubleshooting problems but I have never worked with an ice maker. I took the water valve off and visually inspected it and it looks good but I dont know how to test it? Water is getting to the valve but not coming out the other side. I dont know if it because the valve is bad or if the voltage to turn the valve on it not there. Any idea how to test it. I was going to just buy one and replace it but I didnt want to waste the 30.00 it cost if I dont know for sure that it is bad.

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2010 12:39:24 PM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

If you get water from the fountain, but none to the ice maker, swap the connectors on the valve. Now push the control for water. If you don't get water, replace the valve. If you do get water, the problem lies elsewhere in the system. We'll help you figure it out. Be sure to swap the connectors back when you're done testing it.
kylevidrine  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2010 12:54:28 PM(UTC)
kylevidrine

Forgive me but can you help me identify the parts you are referring to. What is the fountain and what connectors are you referring to? The water connections or electrical connections going to the solenoid? I don’t see anything I can "push" to get water.

Let me explain what I see. From what I can tell there is my main 1/4" line from my water source going to the water valve or "solenoid" then from there to a tube that runs up the back of the refrigerator. Then in to the ice maker. I checked the ice maker and tube and there is no frozen ice in it. I think once I understand the parts you are referring to I will be able to troubleshoot it very easily.
magician59  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2010 5:52:20 PM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

The fountain is the whole panel on the front of your refrigerator; specifically, the part that pertains to water. When we speak of the fountain, we normally mean the water dispenser. When we speak of the ice dispenser, we're referring to that part of the fountain that dispenses ice.

The connectors I refer to in my post are the electrical connectore at the back of the refrigerator, attached to the water valve.

If you don't have the fountain kit, remove the water valve from the back of the unit, but leave the water line attached to it. Remove the electric connector. Place the valve into a plastic container, like a pitcher or a bucket. Connect 120VAC to the terminals of the valve, using a "test cord" (an extension cord with the receptacle end cut off). Take care not to let the ends of the cord touch anything metal, or each other, except the terminals of the valve. Do this just long enough to see if water flows into the bucket. If water flows with your test cord, the problem lies somewhere else in the system.
kylevidrine  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 2, 2010 7:33:09 AM(UTC)
kylevidrine

Oh I see the confusion. I don’t have a fountain. I have a regular refrigerator without a front door fountain. It only has an internal ice maker in the freezer.

Ok I see what you are wanting me to do to test the water valve. That is what I wanted to do but I didn’t know if it was 120 vac or 12vdc or a contact closure. Now that I know it is 120vac I will test it tonight.

Thanks
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply