Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<345
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
smithlpoole  
#41 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 5:30:55 AM(UTC)
smithlpoole

Groups: Registered

The frost pattern starts at the bottom of the evaporator coil and works its way up. Once the frost starts appearing on the rear panel, I take off the panel and there is massive frost/ice everywhere...caked on like it's going to bulge out the rear panel. I mean the air can't flow up AT ALL through the damper. But once again, once the frost/ice is blow dried away, all is well for a few days.

I'll try what you're saying. and let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

PS:
What's a terminator?
smithlpoole  
#42 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 6:24:05 PM(UTC)
smithlpoole

UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage
Last Friday night, I took everything out of the freezer again and of course the evaporator coils were covered with frost and ice. I took out the defrost heater double checked everything (so I thought) and put it back in and still nothing. I jump wired (on the main board) the defrost and the line and nothing (I surely wasn't surprised).

This time around I decided to take out the instructions again (which I clearly followed) and made sure to follow them again from the beginning. This time, I noticed the jumper wires in the diagram which were not attached to the heater when delivered. I went out and purchased the jumper wire (cheap) and plugged it in with all the frost on the coils. Of course nothing. I then figured since the heater comes on and off when the main board tells it to, I'd give it a kick start and defrost (blow dry) all of the frost AGAIN and then put everything back together. I had been checked over a period of days and nothing but the temperatures were okay in both the freezer and fridge which is normal for about 3-4 days after blow drying out the frost.

My husband and I had decided that we would be purchasing a new fridge after the new year. Anyway, I went grocery shopping last night and did have the freezer and fridge opening/closing often while putting food away. Late last night I pulled out the bottom rack in the freezer and there was melted water where there was once ice, right below the heater...the lip area where the water would flow once melted and into that little drain (hole). I wondered if that was from me going in and out of the fridge/freezer but couldn't imagine all that melting in the rear from door action.

To my surprise today when I came home, I immediately went to the freezer and opened the door and looked through the bottom rack and saw a red glare as if there was a little fire behind the rear panel. I put my hand back there and it was warm and there was no ice.

Of course I jumped for joy.

My lesson in all this: you need to read the directions carefully and if whatever it is you fix doesn't work the first time, go over the instructions again with the fine tooth comb because maybe you missed something. In essence I blame the company that shipped the product because I wasn't looking for something that wasn't already there nor did it say i would have to buy one.

Anywho, I will watch this to see how it progresses from now on.

Thanks for your assistance.

Happy HOlidays to you as well.
UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage
smithlpoole  
#43 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 6:38:25 PM(UTC)
smithlpoole

Schematic.jpg

Just wanted to say thank you by attaching the most recent Report on the best refrigerators.

Hope this helps someone looking to buy new and trying not to buy one that tends to break down often.
File Attachment(s):
refrigerator rankings 2008.doc (231kb) downloaded 11 time(s).
bdennis  
#44 Posted : Friday, January 8, 2010 4:11:17 PM(UTC)
bdennis

if water seems to be coming from freezer door check on floor of freezer drain may have clogged causing ice to form and drip out door
tforeman  
#45 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:03:21 AM(UTC)
tforeman

I have have issues with my 3 year old GE Profile side-by-side twice in the past 4 months. Both times I got a call at work from my wife telling me the temp in the freezer and fridge are rising. Both times I found ice on down the back of the freezer from a melting ice maker bin and the evaporator packed with frost/ice. I also noticed the evaporator fan was not running at the time, but I also noticed that it does not always run anyway. I assume the main controller board determines when circulation is needed, making it more difficult to troubleshoot. Anyway, tried to troubleshoot the main board connections, etc, but very difficult without schematic or other service docs. After exhausting all I could do without service info, I plugged the unit back in (after defrosting the evaporator) and waited. The compressor started up fine, but no evaporator fan initially. After several minutes the fan started up and both sides began to cool down. It worked fine for about 4 months and I assumed the problem was the result of one of our wonderful brown-outs we have so often in Central Florida and the controller had simply got into an unknown state, which resetting fixed. Well, yesterday I got the dreaded call again and went home to find the same issue. Again, the evaporator fan was not running and ice caked the back of the freezer compartment. Also, there was no visible sign of failure on the main controller board. I defrosted the evaporator coils again and restarted the unit. All is well 20 hours later. I did some web surfing looking for parts and found this great web site. I have decided that it is hopefully only one of several things (although I realize it could be multiple issues): main controller board, evaporator heater, defrost thermostat, freezer temp sensor (looks like there are 2). I could order all suspect components, but I would rather figure it out and be confident it is fixed. My background is electronics, so I am capable of troubleshooting the components and main controller - I just need more info. It would be great if I could test these components from the wiring harness or test points on the main controller board rather than disassembling the freezer again. Any procedure or guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply