Discuss

Supco 3 N 1 (overload, capacitor, and start relay)

in

Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

. "

I have a Supco RCO410 3n1 device. It is rated for 1/4 to 1/3hp compressors. I don't see a HP

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair » Supco 3 N 1 (overload, capacitor, and start relay)

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 05:28 PM

bluefitness is on a distinguished road
Default Supco 3 N 1 (overload, capacitor, and start relay)
Brand: -brand-   Age: Less than 1 year   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

I have a Supco RCO410 3n1 device. It is rated for 1/4 to 1/3hp compressors. I don't see a HP rating for the compressor. Is this device safe to use without finding out the actual compressor horsepower? This is for a domestic refrigerator. The also make the RCO810 rated for 1/12 to 1/5hp compressors. I'm not sure what the typical compressor size is for a domestic refrigerator.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 10-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Administrator
APP Team

Admin / APP Team has disabled reputation

Average household refrigerator has a 1/4 compressor. Post your model number and we can look that up. How old is the refrigerator? Using a 3 in 1 such as RCO410 will void your manufacturer's warranty, if the compressor is still under warranty.
Find Appliance Parts at AppliancePartsPros.com - Largest inventory in the U.S. with 91% of all in-stock orders delivered within 2 business days. Thousands of photos and diagrams make it very easy to find the right part. Enter your appliance model here.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin / APP Team View Post
Average household refrigerator has a 1/4 compressor. Post your model number and we can look that up. How old is the refrigerator? Using a 3 in 1 such as RCO410 will void your manufacturer's warranty, if the compressor is still under warranty.

I believe it is 5 years plus. What is the normal compressor warranty on a new refrigerator? I'm thinking it is only 1 year for all other parts. In my area, everyone uses 3 n 1 devices because it is hard to stock that many start relays. One of the biggest appliance repair companies in my area says they prefer using these devices. The fail rate is far less. I have used SPP6 hard start kits for years in lieu of potential relays and start capacitors with extremely good luck on air conditioning units. I have never seen one fail (I have seen kick start types fail). We did put factory hard start kits on new units, however. This was units under a few years old, or when hard starts are needed because of a TXV application.

Thank you for your help.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:56 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

v2k04 is on a distinguished road

Those 3-n-1 hard start kits are good for older R-12 compressors but the more efficient 134A compressors can't handle them for very long. Maybe 6 mos tops. They do as they say tho they hard start the compressor and the start winding hangs in there longer than normal eventually the start winding takes a crap.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Administrator
APP Team

Admin / APP Team has disabled reputation

I think v2k04 provided a very good answer. As far as warranty, manufacturers typically provide 5 years on the sealed system which includes the compressor, although things are changing and mfgs are cutting down on their warranty coverage.
Find Appliance Parts at AppliancePartsPros.com - Largest inventory in the U.S. with 91% of all in-stock orders delivered within 2 business days. Thousands of photos and diagrams make it very easy to find the right part. Enter your appliance model here.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:48 PM

V2K04

Are these failures due to start windings already showing wear or in applications where the compressor will not start without the assist? The reason I ask is I installed some of these devices on my brother's refrigerator and one of my friends houses. They were both R134 units. This was 2 years plus on both units and they are still in operation. I tried getting the manufacturer components, but two different supply houses kept asking me why I just don't use a 3n1. I know supply house guys don't really know their stuff, but I would have to assume that the failure rate can't be that high.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

v2k04 is on a distinguished road

It depends on the compressor but a 3 n 1 was designed for a compressor that is getting hard to start. Not as an OEM replacement.These new compressors some of them draw under an amp. You put one of those on there and you're gonna make the compressor work harder and short live it. Check the amps with one on then check the amps with the oem there is a noticeable difference. Not to mention the efficiency rating has changed.

Last edited by v2k04 : 10-29-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:52 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

richappy is a name known to all

I would NEVER use a 3 n 1 hard start device on a modern, R134A compressor, will cause a compressor failure without warning. See my article "replacing compressor start devices".
Old 12-25-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richappy View Post
I would NEVER use a 3 n 1 hard start device on a modern, R134A compressor, will cause a compressor failure without warning. See my article "replacing compressor start devices".
I keep hearing this, but I have never experienced any problems. I have probably put on 20 plus of these. My brothers refrigerator is still running after 6 years with the 3 n 1. The refrigerator is in the garage. I also put one on a chest freezer with a small fractional horsepower compressor, and it still runs perfectly. Every time I go into a local parts store to buy one, the guy keeps telling me it is a crutch and will not last two weeks. All of them have lasted years. He just tries to sell his customers new refrigerators. Maybe, I'm having good luck with the ones I have put on, but it sure beats buying a new refrigerator. I wouldn't put one on a new under warranty unit, but I see no problem in putting one in a 5 year plus one. If it is under 5 years, I usually put one on temporarily and replace it with an OEM starting device later. Maybe, my sample is too small, or I am just lucky (knock on wood). I have also used SPP6 Superboost on A/C units with absolutely no issues. I get told all the time that these devices do not work. How would a company be able to sell 100's of thousands of these devices that damage units and not have a class action suit filed against them? Why would the supply houses still stock them? Why would some techs live by them?
Old 12-26-2010, 05:13 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

richappy is a name known to all
Default use of 3 n 1 hard start devices.

If you read my article, you would notice these devices fail under power surge conditions. Perhaps you live in an area free from these conditions.
I will Not use these devices because I put one in a fridg. and the compressor blew out within one week. I was lucky I didn't get sued! There is plenty of evidence these devices overdrive the compressor start and run windings. From a professional view, I will not use a product that has evidence like this.
After publishing my article on these, I have had few feedbacks supporting them, just a lot of comments from technicians in other sites that say they will blow out compressors eventually. The positive comments that I received showed NO engineering or emperical evidence they are safe to use, none!
Customers can read and a lot of them do check the internet for evidence these devices are bad.
If you use one, and the customer reads the negative reports, you just might get sued.