Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Renlord  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 5:36:23 AM(UTC)
Renlord

Groups: Registered

Water is leaking into the fridge from above and there is no icemaker.

Small pools of water form on the bottom shelfs, what could be causing this?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 6:01:59 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

I would suspect either some pretty heavy condensation, or a clogged or frozen freezer drain.
Renlord  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 6:05:42 AM(UTC)
Renlord

Originally Posted by: magician59 Go to Quoted Post
I would suspect either some pretty heavy condensation, or a clogged or frozen freezer drain.

How do i fix the condesation?
magician59  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 7:17:42 AM(UTC)
magician59

We're not sure, yet, that condensation is the problem; But condensation is caused by warm air getting into the unit somehow. Check the integrity of your door seals. Do you see any gaps or openings that are at least 1/4 inch wide, or more than two inches long?
Renlord  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 9:12:52 AM(UTC)
Renlord

We're not sure, yet, that condensation is the problem; But condensation is caused by warm air getting into the unit somehow. Check the integrity of your door seals. Do you see any gaps or openings that are at least 1/4 inch wide, or more than two inches long?

The seal is good, but i did notice the the vent between the upper freezer and the lower fridge. There is alot of ice around the upper vent in the back of the freezer. So im thinking the ice buildup is melting from the warmer air through the vent into the lower fridge.

why is this happening?
magician59  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 9:50:47 AM(UTC)
magician59

This may be an indication of a defrost malfunctiion. Is the ice snowy, or solid?
Renlord  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2010 8:08:33 AM(UTC)
Renlord

This may be an indication of a defrost malfunctiion. Is the ice snowy, or solid?

The ice is solid and it forms around the vent in the back of the freezer. which eventually melts from the warmer air and then drips into the lower shelves and pools up.
magician59  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2010 8:35:18 AM(UTC)
magician59

Solid ice suggests no problem with the defrost (Since it is melting and refreezing, your defrost heater is working.). Check inside the freezer compartment, behind the panel in the rear, to see if there is more of that ice built up and blocking the drain. Also, check to see if there is any telltale trail of ice coming from the ice maker. You'll have to manually defrost the freezer to get rid of that kind of ice.
RealRobD  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 1, 2013 3:39:37 PM(UTC)
RealRobD

Solid ice suggests no problem with the defrost (Since it is melting and refreezing, your defrost heater is working.). Check inside the freezer compartment, behind the panel in the rear, to see if there is more of that ice built up and blocking the drain. Also, check to see if there is any telltale trail of ice coming from the ice maker. You'll have to manually defrost the freezer to get rid of that kind of ice.

I had to manually defrost and remove the ice blocking the drain in my freezer today. It is the solid type and not frosty. So like you said, the heater IS working. There is no leakage from the ice maker.

I've had to do this manual defrost several times over the past few years and would like to put an end to it. Besides, water dripping into the fridge area is a pain in the rear.

If the heater is working, what other parts should I be looking at that could need replaced?

Whirlpool Model# ET1LFKXT03
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply