Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
agalliath  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 4:05:05 PM(UTC)
agalliath

Groups: Registered

I have big froost buildup in my freezer and it is running all the time and way too cold. I brought in a repair man and he said the problem was the control panel and charged me $395 to fix it. Now the problem is still there and I told him to come back and now he is saying its an air leak in the sealant in the doors. Should he of known that in the first place and not just assumed it was the control panel?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Superdave168  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 6:29:24 PM(UTC)
Superdave168

That is why I try not to call a repair man if it is something that I can do myself. It sounds like a defrost timer problem to me. Did you check that?
richappy  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 2:58:04 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Need model # to help.
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 3:03:31 AM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Depends where the frost is.

If it is on the freezer walls and food then it may be a door leak. Either the freezer or the fresh food door is letting moist warm air in and it is condensing on the walls etc.

Take a 2 inch strip of paper and place it between the door seal and the unit's frame. Then pull it out to see if the door is sealing correctly. Work your way around both doors.
Also sometimes the door seal can grab on the hinge side and cause it to not seal properly. A fix for this is a light coating of vaseline or white lithium grease along this side.

Also check that the doors are still square with the frame and that the door cams are OK. Cams are plastic ramp type parts at the bottom hinge, they help close/seal the door when it is closed.
Most units have cams.

If the frost is on the evaporator coils then it could be a defrost problem. The frost/ice must build up to the point that the evaporator fan cannot pull air through the coils.
Early symptoms are a higher temperature in the fresh food side and the unit running more often or constantly.
A defrost problem can be the defrost heater, the defrost thermostat or the control board (depending on the unit). It must be troubleshot to determine which.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
agalliath  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 8:25:58 AM(UTC)
agalliath

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Depends where the frost is.

If it is on the freezer walls and food then it may be a door leak. Either the freezer or the fresh food door is letting moist warm air in and it is condensing on the walls etc.

Take a 2 inch strip of paper and place it between the door seal and the unit's frame. Then pull it out to see if the door is sealing correctly. Work your way around both doors.
Also sometimes the door seal can grab on the hinge side and cause it to not seal properly. A fix for this is a light coating of vaseline or white lithium grease along this side.

Also check that the doors are still square with the frame and that the door cams are OK. Cams are plastic ramp type parts at the bottom hinge, they help close/seal the door when it is closed.
Most units have cams.

If the frost is on the evaporator coils then it could be a defrost problem. The frost/ice must build up to the point that the evaporator fan cannot pull air through the coils.
Early symptoms are a higher temperature in the fresh food side and the unit running more often or constantly.
A defrost problem can be the defrost heater, the defrost thermostat or the control board (depending on the unit). It must be troubleshot to determine which.

Thanks for the advice. The freezer is running constantly. Is this sucking up major energy?
denman  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 8:57:00 AM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Is this sucking up major energy?
Yes it is.
The compressor and fans take a fair amount of juice.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply