Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
whisker786  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:30:35 PM(UTC)
whisker786

Groups: Registered

Unit runs non-stop. Freezes ice cubes OK, but ice cream's way soft. Non-freezer compartment cools normally. Defrost timer shot ? Switch stuck in closed position ? Thank you.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

v2k04  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:43:38 PM(UTC)
v2k04

Groups: Senior Expert

well lets see providing the freezer fan works remove the bottom of the feezer I am guessing this is a standard admiral frig with the evap in bottom and not accross the back. these fridges have a glass tube defrost heater that gets moisture in them and burns out the heater and leaves broken glass that housed the heater in evap tray if it's heavily frosted thaw it out so you can find the leads to the heater to check it with a meter. Sometimes they will be so iced up the bottom freezer panel is hard to get out....or youy can find the timer advance it in a defrost and clamp on an amp probe to the common and it should draw around 4-5 amps
whisker786  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:53:29 PM(UTC)
whisker786

Fan runs fine. It seems to be defrosting OK - no build-up found in freezer compartment anywhere. Seems like it's defrosting continuously ? With this unit, if defrost cycle has just run, ice cream will be a bit soft till freezer chills back down again. That's how I noticed porblem; it was REAL soft. Then started paying attention and realized it never shut down. Compressor never seems to stop - never shuts down & re-starts. Evap is in bottom, I believe. Thanks, Charlie
v2k04  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:12:06 PM(UTC)
v2k04

again your info takes you back to evap to check frost pattern of the coil. it either has a leak, or a dfrost problem either way the coil needs inspected Even a bad timer that is staying in defrost to long, the frig has to stop running to go into defrost cycle if it isnt the coil is going to be frosted over if it stays in a defrost to long the unit wont be running a frig with a leak the coil will have a big iceball at the beging of coil and rest of it will be dry a fully charged frig will have an even layer of thin frost a heavily frosted coil will be a defrost problem or you could have an inefficisnt compressor you need to investigate it more
80sGuy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:41:46 PM(UTC)
80sGuy

If it's defrosting fine, makes ice and the fresh food section is cold as normal then I would assume it's your 'defrost thermostat'.
v2k04  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:27:47 AM(UTC)
v2k04

why would you assume its a defrost thermastat if its defrosting fine? I also gaurantee if the freezer isn't cooling properly there is no way the frig section is either since all the cooling comes from the freezer. it may appear that it is but it's impossible. Soft ice dream indicates the freezer isn't at zero which means the frig isn't at 37-39
kooler  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:57:35 AM(UTC)
kooler

Hey Charlie, make sure the condenser coil is clean... I didn't see your particular model in APPros data diagrams so not sure what your model looks like...
whisker786  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 4:54:22 PM(UTC)
whisker786

Hey Cooler, Thanks for the reply. I did pull out & vacuum entire backside. This fridge has always ran well even tho cleaning maintenance gets neglected. Unit is ANCIENT, circa 1973. I did order a "fits most models" defrost timer for it. It is a part I found at the top on the back above the evaporator, I think it is. The condenser is at the bottom near the compressor, right ? The unit will not run at all if this defrost timer's disconnected. There doesn't seem to be many parts to replace. I figured I'd try $34 and see what happens. I know it is really time to go shopping. This is my first fridge repair in my 58 years, except for the fan switch in the freezer compartment. Thanks for the advice. charlie
whisker786  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 5:00:04 PM(UTC)
whisker786

The fridge section is 45 degrees. I am now testing the freezer section for temperature. Neither area is normal temp, but unit is cooling, running no-stop. I know freezer warms somewhat when defrost cycle is running, as ice cream can be hard or less hard (after defrost cycle) Thank you for the response. charlie
libertyappl  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:31:14 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups ready for retrieval: Senior Expert

Just to add another possiblity, the thermostat itself maybe about shot. Thus running constantly and not cooling properly. I wasn't able to pull up your model number, but there is a universal one.

Just a thought guys :)

Nat
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply