Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bohnenblust  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2008 4:48:07 PM(UTC)
Bohnenblust

Groups: Registered

I got a very old GE upright freezer with the coil shelves and all metal construction but it would not cool. I had the repair man out he said that the Hight side valve was bad, so I called my HVAC friend and we got a comparable modern compressor that would work with r-12. The old system took 1 pound of refrigerant (per the label) I need to know how much I should have my HVAC man to use R-12 with the new compressor. Also what are the operating pressures of r-12 in a freezer? I am doing the leg work for him and dont know exactly what he needs info wise.

Thanks
Adam
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

v2k04  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 9:27:28 AM(UTC)
v2k04

Groups: Senior Expert

It's going to take the same amount of freon. Unless you are using a R-12 replacement or blend then it's less. R-12 runs about 150 psi on the high side and about 4-5 lbs on the low.
Bohnenblust  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 9:32:03 AM(UTC)
Bohnenblust

thanks! The pressure is a lot different than the others like R124a that I read about. they all referred to a negative pressure reading on the low side.
v2k04  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 10:26:24 AM(UTC)
v2k04

134a runs about 0 on the low side.
Bohnenblust  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 10:37:08 AM(UTC)
Bohnenblust

Well he cant find a compressor (we live in the boonies) where could I order an acceptable replacement for this setup. It was a 1/4 hp ( horizontal cylinder looking one) with the little pipe on the right and the bigger one on the left (while looking at it from the back). I really like this freezer and want it to work again.
v2k04  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 10:44:57 AM(UTC)
v2k04

Well I have before taken a 134a compressor and charged it with Hot Shot just use an Embraco with the same BTU's Whats the model number?
Bohnenblust  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:01:55 PM(UTC)
Bohnenblust

ok, we broke open the system. when he went to evacuate the system there was no pressure at all and no gas. We took off the compressor and tested it, (just plugged it in and he felt the suction and pressure sides with his thumb) it appears to work just fine. The repair man was wrong it seems, I am thinking of just putting the old compressor back on and charging it. How often is this misdiagnosed? I am out 50 dollars for a bad repair man and ten minutes of him feeling coils. Should I complain or just work with another repair man?
On the compressor there is a threaded port with a bolt in the end. There are threads on the out side and inside, is this a charge port? this is a very old unit I can find the info for any of the numbers on it.
v2k04  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2008 6:19:20 AM(UTC)
v2k04

GE used that to charge /evacuate system There is a special GE chrging tool But you can just solder a new shrader valve on it If there was no charge in the system it obviously has a leak so you would need to find the leak and repair it before you recharge it or it's just going to leak out again. You can use the old compressor if its working While it's out you can change the oil in it and use a blend or leave the oil in it and charge it with a freon that will mix with any oil. After you plumb the compressor back in it. pressure test it with Nitrogen, and isolate the hi side and low side to determine the leak and get a good leak detector to pinpoint the leak and repair it.If the leak is not accessable to repair you either have to scrap it or make it accesable by running the refrigerant lines on the outside of unit if possible
Bohnenblust  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2008 7:01:25 AM(UTC)
Bohnenblust

Is there anything in it like a core that I need to remove?
v2k04  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2008 7:05:59 AM(UTC)
v2k04

No you can just leave it be
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply