Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pbxtxpbxtx  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 2, 2008 10:08:49 PM(UTC)
pbxtxpbxtx

Groups: Registered

Hiya...

My icemaker stopped making ice a few months ago and have finally had some time to work on the fridge. It's a whirlpool with indoor ice and ice container in the door (clear plastic housing with auger).

Anyhow, went thru a few troubleshooting cycles... thawed fill tube, checked sending/receiving leds, etc. Powering off the frigde (unplugging), then removing and reinstalling the ice maker assembly, and powering on led to the icemaker filling; however, it never dumped ice.

The tray/heater is nasty & flaking so I want to ditch it, and I'd suspect the thermostat on the ice maker assembly, and the motor gears appear to be worn (some teeth appear to be ground down). A whole new assembly seems to be the right course. Are there any other diagnostics I should consider to rule out additional problems?

Also BTW what is the appropriate ice maker assembly part #, I'd prefer to replace the whole thing.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 3, 2008 4:21:16 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
According to your description the ice maker is bad and has to be replaced.

- The part number for the new ice maker is AP3182733

Part number: AP3182733
Part number: AP3182733

Gene.
pbxtxpbxtx  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 9:50:25 PM(UTC)
pbxtxpbxtx

Heya thanks for the help, received the part today and installed it this evening, freezer is now making plenty of nice clean ice, about a batch every 60 minutes or so. Saved a $100 service call and the markup on the part.

Note the replacement part is a bit different than the original one, the water cup piece that goes under the fill tube is a bit taller, but I think that should help keep the fill tube from being in the line of cold air, but it is a bit of a snug fit. It was necessary to bend the fill tube rubber extension to the side to install. I don't ever recall the fill tube freezing tho, perhaps lucky (or the solenoids haven't died ... yet).

Not very happy with the reliability of this model, the compressor start capacitor went a few months ago, and the fridge is pretty gently used, just 2 folks here, no kids. Disappointed considering it's a tad over 5 years old.

Thanks again for the help!

:)
Gene  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2008 11:33:19 PM(UTC)
Gene

You're welcome. We are glad you were able to fix it.

Gene.
mellyinptown  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2009 5:24:37 PM(UTC)
mellyinptown

Hello,
About 6 months ago my ice maker and water dispenser stopped working. No water was coming into the fridge at all. The water supply at the wall was working correctly but no water was making its way into the maker or the water dispenser at the door.
Unable to afford to repair it, I let it sit. A week ago, all of the sudden, the auger starts "ticking" or turning constantly, even with the shut off arm in the off position. I have loosened the cover on the motor and this has it silenced it for now. My question is: Even if I replace the entire unit, isn't there a water inlet valve located on the maker or the refridgerator itself.?
I will have to purchase that part as well?
Another question, is replacing the unit and the possible inlet part something a novice can do without much headache?
Thanks for your help.
Melly
Gene  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:29:53 PM(UTC)
Gene

Melly,

In order to provide most accurate advice we need the complete model number of the refrigerator.

Gene.
mellyinptown  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 4:26:42 PM(UTC)
mellyinptown

Of course, sorry..
It is a Whirlpool Side by side
Model # ED25PEXHW00
Water and Ice dispenser in the door.

Melly
KevinRegal  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:15:30 PM(UTC)
KevinRegal

Hello. I have a GE fridge (PSS25NGNAWW) on which the ice maker auger motor keeps freezing up. If I defrost, the auger motor will work again for a week or so, then freeze up again. It looks to me like water is leaking down from the ice maker and onto the auger motor, then freezing.

I called GE--their repairman charged me $508 to replace the auger motor and the main control board, but that didn't help at all.

I wonder if too much water is being dispensed into the ice maker and overflowing it; I can't tell how the water is metered out or if there is any adjustment. I would just replace the ice maker, but I also wonder if the problem could be caused by a bad valve (perhaps sticking open sometimes?)

Suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
aslsigner  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 6, 2010 7:13:45 PM(UTC)
aslsigner

WHIRLPOOL
Model #GC5SHGXLQ01
SIDE BY SIDE REFRIGERATOR

I have this fridge and the ice maker works but the auger doesn't advance the ice nor does it crush (or maybe it does but since the auger isn't advancing the ice, there's nothing to crush).
The ice maker works fine and the ejector works when I manually advance the ice but I would guess the motor for the auger is bad.
When I push the button the front panel, I hear some buzzing that makes me think it might be working. Should I try and unscrew the whole motor in the back, defrost it, and see if it works?
Is this an easy fix? Should I just replace the whole unit?

Thanks for any insight.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply