Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HapPnis  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 12:50:46 PM(UTC)
HapPnis

Groups: Registered

8 yr old Frigidaire over/under has power but doesnt do anything past the lightbulb....tested the evap fan and it is definately bad...cant spin the shaft at all and it didnt have continuity. any and all help/suggestions appreciated.

Jim
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 2:45:16 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Jim,

Tap on the temperature control knob. Did the compressor start?

If it did, replace the temperature control.

If it did not, open the control box and bypass the temperature control. Did the compressor start?

If it did, replace the temperature control.

If it did not, open the control box and locate the defrost timer (#23 on the diagram). Using a flat screwdriver, turn the timer shaft CW until it clicks. If the compressor would not start, turn it further until it clicks again. Post the results.

- The temperature control Part number: AP2151609
Part number: AP2151609

- The defrost timer Part number: AP2111929
Part number: AP2111929

Gene.
HapPnis  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:27:28 PM(UTC)
HapPnis

Gene,

thnx for the help...i did all that you suggested...thumped on temp control -- no go; have a stupid question; when you say to bypass the temp control and see if the compressor starts, I'm assuming by bypass you meant for me to just leave it disconnected?? -- no go; spun defrost timer cw one click -- no go; then for the 2nd click -- no go; for chits and giggles I checked to see that there were 120 volts to the temp control wires and also to the evap fan wires. I also took the back cover off to look at the compressor and relay and to my utter joy (not) I have a solid state 2 pc starter plugged into the compressor...any way for me to test that puppy? at this point I am about ready to go get my shotgun. oh yea; I also tested the temp control with my meter and didnt matter what way I turned the knob I got no response on the meter...no clue where to go or what I can do at this point to try and save this fridge without breaking the bank. It may be 8 yrs old but the interior and exterior are still in really great shape.

Jim
HapPnis  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:21:57 PM(UTC)
HapPnis

If anyone else out there is knowledgeable or has an opinion to offer I am eager to hear what you have to say...tmrw is my Sunday and was hoping to get lucky and be able to get this thing finalized one way or the other. Thnx again !!

Jim
Gene  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 4:52:07 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Jim,

Sorry for the delay.

You said:
Quote:
...I also tested the temp control with my meter and didn't matter what way I turned the knob I got no response on the meter...

It means the temperature control is bad and it has to be replaced.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply