Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dave Jr.  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 6:53:30 PM(UTC)
Dave Jr.

Groups: Registered

I just noticed my refridgerator fan was louder than usual. I opened the bottom freezer drawer and my arm touch the frame on the side and it was very hot. It wasn't warm but hot to the touch and you have to move your hand if you leave it there too long. The freezer is cold and the fridge is a normal cool. I turned both temp guages to 0. I then turned the freezer to 4 and I heard it kick in as normal. When I turned the fridge temp to 4 the fan kicked on and it was louder than normal. I can actually see a small fan just under the left back corner of the unit that is not working at all. I'm not sure if that has something to do with the ice maker or if it's the fan that circulates the warm air from under the unit. I'm a little lost at this point. Any help would be great!:confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 6:58:31 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

It's normal for the sides to get hot. that is to keep moisture from freezing in the insualtion. Where did the noise seem to be coming from? Was the compressor running when the little fan wasn't?
Nat
Dave Jr.  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 7:07:54 PM(UTC)
Dave Jr.

The rubber molding/gasket is very hot from the frame. Is that normal? Also, I pulled the fridge out and checked the circuit board for any burnt resistors and didn't see anything. However, I did put my hand on the back of the fridge and it's hot just under the circuit board area. I think I can see the compressor under there. Also, the little fan that is blowing on the coils is barely spinning. At first it wasn't spinning but not it's just barely spinning not really doing much. The coils on the back left side are dirty with dust as well.

UPDATE: I put a floor fan on the back of the fridge and the back cooled down. The sides of the frame are still hot. I think the little that is barely spinning dissipates the heat and since it's not working the whole back of the fridge is getting hot. Anyone know the name of that fan?
libertyappl  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 7:20:37 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

The compressor is behind the rear panel on the unit. and it is normal for them to get almost hot to the touch. you should clean the coils off, at least once per year, near the compressor while the condenser fan(by the compressor) isn't running of course.
Dave Jr.  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 7:30:41 PM(UTC)
Dave Jr.

I'm guessing that little fan that cools the coils needs to be replaced as well. I think that fan should be blowing the hot air under the front of the unit where the vent is. Right now, it's not moving any air. Should I start with that fan? I don't know what part that is though.
libertyappl  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 7:37:36 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

If the fan near the compressor is the condenser fan part #WR84X10055
the little fan between the freezer & frig is the evaporator fan part #WR60X10196. If the unit was running a defrost cycle the sides might be warmer than usuall and neither fan would be running.
Nat
Dave Jr.  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2008 8:00:03 PM(UTC)
Dave Jr.

Originally Posted by: libertyappl Go to Quoted Post
If the fan near the compressor is the condenser fan part #WR84X10055
the little fan between the freezer & frig is the evaporator fan part #WR60X10196. If the unit was running a defrost cycle the sides might be warmer than usuall and neither fan would be running.
Nat

Ok, it's the condenser fan. However, I just read this thread and now I'm worried I'm going to buy a new fan when I may just need the control board. I'm on a budget and really don't want to buy a fan if it's the board. The board is actually cheaper. The unit seems to be cooling fine though which makes me think it's just the fan. Any final words of advice before I order the fan?
Dave Jr.  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 2, 2008 3:37:26 PM(UTC)
Dave Jr.

Ok, I replaced the fan and the fan barely turns. It looks like it's the control board. I need to replace the board, does anyone know the replacement part number. Thanks in advance.
libertyappl  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 3, 2008 5:16:27 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

The control board part # WR55X10416
Sorry the fan itself didn't work!!
Dave Jr.  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 3, 2008 9:37:51 AM(UTC)
Dave Jr.

Aw Man! I purchased the WR55X10552 last night from ebay. I thought that was the one.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply