Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gmatov  
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:03:38 AM(UTC)
gmatov

Groups: Registered

Fix,

Gimme more than that. About 2 feet of the backwall, most, I think, evap, and fan atop it. At least halfway up the intake, including the intake and exhaust vents were solidly frozen.

I don't KNOW if the frost reached the fan. I am hoping, although this costs me money, that the fan failed, and that caused the freezeup.

I gotta tell you, I am not at all confident that I can take my VOM and diagnose this thing, if the fan is not the problem.

I would hate to shitcan this humongous thing if it can be fixed, but think a fridge/freezer should be a simple thing, cost 500 or so.
Cheers,
George
fixtec90  
#12 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2008 9:47:26 AM(UTC)
fixtec90

Groups: Senior Expert

You own a meter that's great! You CAN do this. I think you will be more comfy diagnosing through the evap section. So once the evap and foam covers are removed do the following in this order:

1. Ohm evap fan. You only looking for open or closed. If open replace. If closed go to step 2

2. Ohm heater. You only looking for open or closed. If open replace. If closed go to step 3.

3. Ohm out door/fan switch. It should be closed when button is pressed.

4. If the above all checks out replace fz sensor (thermistor). It is that little thing clipped to the top of the evap (suction line). The part costs around $6.00.

5. If you still have a problem (I highly doubt you will) the main board is the problem. I don't know what they get for a board. You can bet it isn't cheap though.

I looked for my the manual so I could give you exact info for steps 4 & 5. No luck, it's in my van. I did the best I could to find it. It's tough being a one armed bandit (shoulder surgery not slot machine).

If you follow the above exactly the most money you stand to waste is the $6.00 for that sensor.

I will be offline from this evening until Monday morning (moving tomorrow). I will check for questions before I shutdown tonight and again when I'm back online.

Oh yeah, make sure it's fully defrosted before you patch it up. It does sound like fan or switch.
gmatov  
#13 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2008 5:26:01 PM(UTC)
gmatov

Groups: Registered

Thanks, guys.

Thursday, took at least an hour and a half with my industrial heat gun to get the back panel thawed enough to get it off. Fan and motor totally encased in solid ice, not frost, and the cavity it sat in the same.

Checked door switch first, open, 2 contacts continuity, light, other 2 cont, fan, OK.

Defrosted fan assembly ( forget whether 500 or 1000 degree element in the heat gun, melted edges of plastic clamshell that holds the motor, no damage, tho') plugged motor in, ran slow and noisy. Replaced with new fan motor, fast and quiet, reassembled, plugged in, temp dropped about 6 degrees so went home. Last night, called daughter, freezer at -4. GREAT.

Went over this afternoon, fridge side not cooling, checked manual, forced defrost in fridge side. Compartment went up about 6 degrees before the "beep---beep---beep" drove me out of the house. Went back about 4 hours later, everybody home, no beeping, asked if they shut it off, No. Still about 60 degrees. Don't know if it has thawed itself and working its way down or not.

Pretty sure the manual says it will keep defrosting till you cancel it. Pretty sure, too (manual's in the car) that high limit is 150, low is something like -48. Would have been funny to find it at 150 and package of kohlbasi cooked in the vac pack.

Hope the kid gives me good news tomorrow. (She needs some luck. Her boy hit a deer with her car last night. Insured, but without her car till it's fixed. He can take her to work, I take the g'daughter to soccer, anyway, she needs a ride home from work and soccer away games get me home after her work hours are over.

This retired old fart of a grand pap has plenty to keep himself busy, anyhow. No vegetating, here.

Cheers,

George
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply