Discuss

GE Profile REFRIG. ICEMAKER need help !!

in

Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

. "

Originally Posted by davidaddison9653 I have to break a part in order to fix the drive cup? Isn't there another

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair » GE Profile REFRIG. ICEMAKER need help !!

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Gene has a brilliant futureGene has a brilliant future

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaddison9653 View Post
I have to break a part in order to fix the drive cup? Isn't there another option, without having to buy two parts or the whole ice maker unit?

It just seems odd.
Unfortunately this is the way how GE made it and the above instructions are from GE service manual.

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 10-19-2011, 09:56 AM

FBN is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem, broken drive cup. I called a local repairman and he said that I am better off buying the entire bucket and auger assembly since it is very difficult to disassemble and then assemble the unit just to replace the drive cup. He said I will get so confused and frustrated that I will end up buying the entire bucket and auger assembly. Has anyone here actually done this repair? How hard was it? Thanks
Old 06-21-2012, 02:26 PM

micronoclast is on a distinguished road
Default No need to break clips on Model GSS25TSRC

This is a great forum-- it had just what I needed! The drive cup on my ice maker cracked, too. My model looks just a little bit different than the one in the service photos, though, and I was able to pry the assembly apart without cracking the two tabs.

Before prying up the box, I had to unlatch the metal bar that held part of the ice chopping assembly in place (it is really obvious-- just flip the icemaker box over and you'll see it.

I'm waiting for my drive cup, and then I'll see if everything fits back together. With my model, though, it appears that you don't need to break the tabs and then replace the cover.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:51 AM

cb845 is on a distinguished road
Default Broke Again!

I have purchased 2 replacement cups and both broke with in weeks. Am I installing it incorrectly?
Old 06-08-2013, 02:58 PM

asn54 is on a distinguished road

Hi... I'm sorry to say that I totally understand your frustration. The plastic parts are almost bound to break ( no matter what). I think they are designed that way( sorry to say). In my case, after fixing them 2 times and they both bit the dust, I had to buy an entire new ice maker. Very frustrating...yes ...but lesson learned, never by another G E fridge w/ poor quality I've maker : (
Old 06-08-2013, 05:12 PM

FBN is on a distinguished road

GE appliances used to be the standard of the industry. Now they are overpriced and garbage. Most likely made in China
Old 06-08-2013, 09:16 PM

asn54 is on a distinguished road

I agree 100%
Old 06-09-2013, 07:03 AM

TomPumpkin is on a distinguished road
Default Removing interior panel ge profile bottom drawer freezer

My friend's GE profile refrigerator isn't cooling in the fresh foods section, the freezer is fine. We had this problem two weeks ago and a repairman removed the interior panel at the back of the freezer (bottom drawer freezer, not side-by-side), defrosted the coils and told us he'd be ordering a new thermistor and advised to watch for frost building on this panel again - perhaps we'd end up needing a new motherboard, etc. The fridge worked fine until yesterday. Our repairman is unavailable per his phone message. My friend is exceptionally mechanically inclined but for some reason neither of us can remove the back panel of his freezer - it appears to be pretty solidly wedged into place without any way of loosening the right side of the panel. The left side seems to have a finger-hold of sorts... anyways, we could feasibly defrost the coils and keep food from spoiling if we could figure out how to get the panel off. Suggestions?
Old 06-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Gene has a brilliant futureGene has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPumpkin View Post
My friend's GE profile refrigerator isn't cooling in the fresh foods section, the freezer is fine. We had this problem two weeks ago and a repairman removed the interior panel at the back of the freezer (bottom drawer freezer, not side-by-side), defrosted the coils and told us he'd be ordering a new thermistor and advised to watch for frost building on this panel again - perhaps we'd end up needing a new motherboard, etc. The fridge worked fine until yesterday. Our repairman is unavailable per his phone message. My friend is exceptionally mechanically inclined but for some reason neither of us can remove the back panel of his freezer - it appears to be pretty solidly wedged into place without any way of loosening the right side of the panel. The left side seems to have a finger-hold of sorts... anyways, we could feasibly defrost the coils and keep food from spoiling if we could figure out how to get the panel off. Suggestions?
Try to use a hair dryer to warm up the panel.

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 11-28-2013, 03:10 AM

jmlstl is on a distinguished road

This just happened to me as well. Multiple cups within weeks. At $20+ this is going to become very annoying.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.