Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tdyltc46  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:48:22 PM(UTC)
tdyltc46

Groups: Registered

My GE Profile Artica refridgerator will not maintain the proper temperature in the fresh food side. I set the digital thermostat to the recommended 37 degrees, but the temperature will fluctuate between 30 and 37 degrees, freezing my fresh food. Ocassionally, the temperature will drop to as low as 26-28 degrees, freezing the water in the in-door water dispensor. I have read the problem may be related to an inoperative damper door or a malfunctioning fresh food thermister. Could someone please help me isolate the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Terry
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 5:22:11 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Most common problem is the damper door. I would remove the cover and see if it's jammed open.
tdyltc46  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2010 9:29:27 AM(UTC)
tdyltc46

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Most common problem is the damper door. I would remove the cover and see if it's jammed open.

Thanks, I will check the damper door. If that is not jammed open can I assume it is probably the thermister?

Terry
richappy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2010 1:35:09 AM(UTC)
richappy

When you open the door, the damper door will open to lower the temperature due to the warm air entering. This damper door will open and close to maintain the temperature. You might try raising the temperature control, close the door, and see if the door closes. If not, check your ff thermistors per the common values in the sticky above GE (GSS & PSS models)
tdyltc46  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2010 7:47:40 AM(UTC)
tdyltc46

When you open the door, the damper door will open to lower the temperature due to the warm air entering. This damper door will open and close to maintain the temperature. You might try raising the temperature control, close the door, and see if the door closes. If not, check your ff thermistors per the common values in the sticky above GE (GSS & PSS models)

Thanks again. what is the proceedure for removing the cover to view the damper door in a model PSS25NGMDBB? There are no obvious exposed screws or fasteners visible. There are two, what appear to be, pressure activated release buttons on either side of the large light cover in the ceiling. Can I see anything by removing the light cover?

Terry
richappy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2010 2:46:24 PM(UTC)
richappy

I have not worked on this model before, the diagram is worthless. The damper assembly is item 420, just pry and release all plastic tabs till the housing comes off. As I said before, if the fridg is good and cold, lowering the control settings to a lower temperature,( if the system is working properly,) the damper door should close. It is rare for these dampers to fail electrically, most fail mechanically so just look for a jammed door.
If door is not jammed, next probable failure would be the ff thermistors.
tdyltc46  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:14:14 PM(UTC)
tdyltc46

I have not worked on this model before, the diagram is worthless. The damper assembly is item 420, just pry and release all plastic tabs till the housing comes off. As I said before, if the fridg is good and cold, lowering the control settings to a lower temperature,( if the system is working properly,) the damper door should close. It is rare for these dampers to fail electrically, most fail mechanically so just look for a jammed door.
If door is not jammed, next probable failure would be the ff thermistors.

Thanks Richappy, you have been a big help. I now have a direction to go in.

Terry
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply