Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KYcatlover  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2008 10:43:42 AM(UTC)
KYcatlover

Groups: Registered

My Whirlpool refrigerator model # ET18ZK (approx. 15 years old, frost-free, freezer on top, coils at bottom of unit) started to make horrible noises in the wee hours this morning. It's almost a whining/squealing but it's not exactly high pitched. I guess, it's coming from the underneath in the back but it's so loud it's hard to tell. At first it was intermitttant. I immediately turned the refrigerator off (and unplugged it) when I realized that it where the noise was. It got me out of bed! I've cleaned the coils underneath and checked for to make sure it's level. It still makes the noises but it seems to be closer to constant but still not one pitch.

The coils were quite furry and there were some pieces of paper under the unit. I've taken the back bottom cover off to clean there when my ShopVac battery finishes reacharging. I've got a clothes dryer lint removal kit so I will try to use the brush in it.

Do you have any idea what the problem could be? Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2008 1:24:42 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

After your coil cleaning (which you should do at least once per year) check the condenser fan which cools the compressor. The fan and the compressor are the only parts below that could be making that noise. Unless it's inside the freeser, which would be the evaproator fan behind the rear panel.
Let us know what you find.
Nat
80sGuy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2008 2:17:06 PM(UTC)
80sGuy

There were some 'chirping' sounds coming out of my freezer too whenever the fridge cycles on, it makes 3-4 slight chirps and it is only intermittent. I loosen the 4 screws a bit that held the 'wall'. Check your evaporator fan.
KYcatlover  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2008 4:51:50 PM(UTC)
KYcatlover

After much cleaning around the whole bottom front and back of the refrigerator- coils, fan, compressor, and drip pan (removed, washed, replaced), the horribly loud sound is gone. I cleaned the both area using my ShopVac with the crevice toll attachment and the brush from my dryer lint removal kit. I think all the gunk must been causing the fan to rub its frame. It's been 3.5 hours and it's still running quietly. Hopefully it really is fixed.

Thank you for your suggestions and support.
libertyappl  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2008 7:54:31 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

Glad to help. Don't forget to clean those coils!:cool:
Nat
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply