Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JoeMontovino  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2008 9:13:34 AM(UTC)
JoeMontovino

Groups: Registered

My Mother's GE Refrigerator is dispensing crushed ice but is reluctant to dispense ice cubes. The Ice Maker is making ice cubes at a good rate; however, it does not want to dispense ice cubes. Any suggestions to get started to troubleshoot this issue? Thanks. Joe.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2008 4:21:23 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Joe,

The first thing I would check is 120VAC coming to the solenoid (#378 on the break down diagram) while the ice dispenser calls for whole cubes. Also check the solenoid itself for continuity.

- The part number for the solenoid assembly is AP2071947

Gene.
rich89145  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 3:44:18 PM(UTC)
rich89145

I have the same problem with my whirlpool refrigerator. I checked the continuity of yhe solenoid with a digital ohmmeter and got a reading of 35 so I assume the solenoid is OK. Any other suggestions?
Gene  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 6:30:14 PM(UTC)
Gene

Rich,

What is the complete model number of the refrigerator?

Check for 120VAC coming to the solenoid with the light switch depressed while the ice dispenser calls for the ice cubes.

Gene.
rich89145  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 8:50:27 PM(UTC)
rich89145

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Rich,

Check for 120VAC coming to the solenoid with the light switch depressed while the ice dispenser calls for the ice cubes.

Gene.

the model no. is ET22DQLDN01. How do you check for the AC working on the solenoid?
Gene  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:52:05 PM(UTC)
Gene

You have to have a simple multimeter with ability to measure voltage and resistance.

Here are the break down diagrams for the Whirlpool refrigerator Model ET22DQLDN01

Gene.
rich89145  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2008 6:47:55 PM(UTC)
rich89145

My suggestion is that if you don't care about crushed ice just remove the bar that goes along the ice tray and into the solenoid. You will then get cubes 100% of the time. Wala! That's all I wanted anyway. :)
Jay3903  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:32:36 PM(UTC)
Jay3903

I have a GE profile with the same problem that you are having. You can remove the ice maker engage the door closed switch and put the switch on the front panel in the crusted ice position, push the switch to get ice and if the solenoid energies and the motor tries to turn the problem is probably is the logic board in the door. The other thing that can cause the problem is a clump of ice in the ice bin.(per GE web site) Swapped the logic board, fixed!
georgiatarheel!  
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 9:59:06 AM(UTC)
georgiatarheel!

I just purchased a used GE Profile Artica side by side. Everything's working great except it is only dispensing cubed ice. I followed the recommendation in this thread (open door, engage door closed switch, toggle between cubed and crushed). Sure enough, the solenoid isn't doing anything so it's not moving the bar in the tray to open the cubed ice slot.

Any recommendation on what to do? Is it possible that one of the wires in the connection at the bottom of the freezer is loose (I had to disconnect the electrical at the bottom of the freezer and the icemaker line to get the door off to get it inside the house). If this isn't a possibility, what else could be causing it not to raise the bar in the tray?

Is this a DIY situation? if fixing it would cost more than $150 (call, repair, and parts) then I'll probably just keep a separate ice bin below it and access ice from it (keeping it refilled from the main bin). I don't mind opening the door to get ice if it saves me a lot of $$$.

Someone mentioned taking the bar out in the tray - I don't care about crushed ice, and would be willing to forego crushed ice to gets cubes through the door. I can't seem to figure out how to get that back out of the tray? Wouldn't you still need the bar to pull the ice cubes forward?

Thank you for any help!
Gene  
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 2:35:47 PM(UTC)
Gene

Quote:
... Sure enough, the solenoid isn't doing anything...

You may want to check the solenoid for continuity.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply