Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gregv7  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 5, 2008 8:24:46 AM(UTC)
gregv7

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Monogram refrigerator that I’m having problems with. My wife noticed it was getting more and more difficult to open and close the freezer door. I checked it out and found the ice maker tray had frozen into one big block of ice. The freezer floor had about 3/8 of an inch of ice built up on it. The ice had extended past the bottom of the floor about ¼ inch into the door seal area. The coil was frozen solid and the door gasket also had ice on the bottom between the rubber seals.
I emptied the freezer of its contents and proceeded to melt the ice with a hairdryer. All seemed well and good until I came home the next day only to find a wine bottle had prevented the refrigerator door from closing properly. The freezer temp was 0 and the refrigerator temp was 65. I closed the door and waited a few hours. I came back only to find the refrigerator temperature had only dropped two degrees. I unplugged the unit for 30 minutes and plugged it back in. After a few more hours the refrigerator temp had only dropped to 55. I checked the freezer again and found a slight buildup of ice on the coils again, but not like before. I used a hairdryer to melt the ice once again. I plugged the unit back in and watched it for a few hours. It seemed the compressor was constantly running and not doing a very good job of pulling the refrigerator temp down. At this point I felt I may have ice blocking the vent from the freezer so I poured 4 cups of hot water through it to melt any Ice. I set the temperatures on the control panel to 4 degrees on the freezer and 45 on the refrigerator. The compressor seemed to be cycling normally at this point. I have been watching the unit and it seems to be working ok. I have lowered the refrigerator temp a few degrees at a time to see what happens. I now have the refrigerator temp set at 40 and the freezer at 0. The frigs is staying around 39-40 but the freezer temp gets as low as -14. Is this normal? What would cause such a buildup of ice in the first place?
I have read a few posts on this site and found some very kind and helpful people contributing to it!
Thank you in advance for any help.
Greg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

luvz2flyalot  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 6, 2008 10:40:57 AM(UTC)
luvz2flyalot

Two thoughts on ice buildup. If it's mainly on the evaporator coil suspect inop defroster heating element or defrost timer. If ice occurs in other areas besides the evaporator, suspect a bad freezer door seal or possibly even ice maker water supply fitting leak. Ice/frost (esp. white, frosty type) near the door opening would indicate a bad door seal. Clear ice at the bottom of the unit would suggest an ice maker leak. BTW, most common cause of poor chilling is dust build on the condenser coil or bad condenser fan. Sounds like yours is good.
gregv7  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 8, 2008 11:55:14 AM(UTC)
gregv7

Hi Luvz2flyalot,
Thank you for your help.
I checked the freezer for ice buildup. We have ice forming on the freezer floor again, right under the ice maker along left corner. I'll see if I can spot a leak, or check the fittings.
Thanks again!
Greg
NPacella  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2009 5:26:45 AM(UTC)
NPacella

We have ice forming as well but it starts on the right side of the freezer floor not under the ice maker. I cleaned it out last weekend (about 1/2" thick @ back) and the ice has reformed almost over the entire floor, only thin layer right now.
woodchuckie  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2009 7:23:35 AM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

Your drain tube may be stopped up with ice at the upper end because it drains too slow because it's stopped up at the lower end in the evaporator pan under the unit at the floor. It can get dust and mold in it. Once you get the ice out at the top a little air pressure will usually clear it out. Flushing it out with hot water and clorox may help. Make sure it drains quick enough. The drain should be located below the evaporator coils on the lower back of the freezer.
NPacella  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2009 5:19:03 AM(UTC)
NPacella

Thanks. Is the drain inlet located in the right rear of the freezer compartment or the center?
woodchuckie  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2009 6:14:24 AM(UTC)
woodchuckie

Groups: Senior Expert

I need your model number to be sure but most are in the rear center.
NPacella  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2009 6:24:44 AM(UTC)
NPacella

You know, this weekend I was looking all over the interior of the unit and the door as well as in the compressor area and in the kick and I didn't see anything. Where do they hide it?
#9 Posted : Friday, October 27, 2023 6:49:26 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have a GE Monogram refrigerator and the top three lights (control lock,light,alarm)are all on and won’t go off.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply