Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ghebb_ns  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 31, 2008 6:25:01 AM(UTC)
ghebb_ns

Groups: Registered

Over the last few months, there have been times when the freezer warms up to 8-10 degrees (it is set for 0). When this happens, the fridge stays constant at 37 (where it is set). Yesterday, both started warming up much more than before. We moved the froozen food to another freezer and emptied the fridge into a bar fridge.

We cleaned out the bottom vent (which was pretty much plugged) and let the fridge run. By this morning, both were back to normal. Thinking everything was fine, we moved all the food back in. Shortly after that, the freezer started warming up. It went to around 7 degrees where it stayed for awhile, but now has warmed up to 16 degrees. The fridge has been constant between 35-37 so it seems fine.

I have read that there have been problems with GE motherboards (can't find the list to see if my model is included in the recall). Does this sound like it might be the culprit?

By the way, the fan is working and there is cold air blowing in both the fridge and freezer.

Thanks,

Greg

********** Update: The freezer has now gone back to 0 so everything is fine. Not sure if I feel confident enough to actually put food in it yet :) *************
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ApplianceJunk  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 31, 2008 7:22:27 AM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi,

The ge refrigerators seem to have there share of motherboard problems.
abadfish66  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 31, 2008 12:25:36 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Make sure you condensor fan is running, located behind the refer lower access panel
ghebb_ns  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 31, 2008 6:27:12 PM(UTC)
ghebb_ns

Thanks, the fan is definately running. It seems to be in a cycle now where the freezer warms up to 12-14 and then back down to 0. Fridge is staying relatively constant at 36-38.

I have done a search both here and on the GE for my model number but I can't find the exact match - close but not exact. If I am going to get a new motherboard, i assume I need the exact match - any suggestions?

Thanks again.
ApplianceJunk  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 31, 2008 6:32:46 PM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Quote:
I have done a search both here and on the GE for my model number but I can't find the exact match - close but not exact.

I found your exact model number using the parts detective at http://appliancejunk.com/forums

Crossing the number over from there to here I come up with this part.

Part Details - GE Main board assembly, part number: AP3950129
ghebb_ns  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 31, 2008 6:45:51 PM(UTC)
ghebb_ns

Many many thanks. Do my symptons sound like a bad motherboard to you?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply