Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
80sGuy  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:26:34 PM(UTC)
80sGuy

Groups: Registered

Hi,
I bought this top mount Maytag fridge (PTB1949GRW) back in May of 2002, since then it has been working flawlessly until yesterday. The thing started clicking every 3-5 minutes, I checked both the freezer and the fresh food compartments and as you've guessed it - food was thawing from freezer and fresh food wasn't that cold. Then I opened up the rear bottom and heard the clicking coming from around the compressor (information I gathered from this forum tells me it's either the Relay and/or capacitor)

I ordered the parts from here (Overload Relay Kit & Run Capacitor). Received it next day and installed them with common sense (the worst instructions included), the fan and compressor started operating again........BUT the temperatures inside the compartments were NOT cold enough, it's been six hours and the ice is barely freezing and the fresh food section is just a tad cool but not cold.
I also checked the panel behind the freezer for frosting, but there were none. The thing has been running almost non-stop ever since, I think it only stop once and continued. Also, the compressor feels HOT, is it normal?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2008 5:11:35 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

The compressor does get hot! If there is a fan near the compressor make sure it is running.
80sGuy  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2008 9:09:35 AM(UTC)
80sGuy

Groups: Registered

Yes, the fan next to it does run and I've also cleaned out a pile of dust that were attached to the so called "no need to clean" condenser. After a thorough physical cleaning (compressor area and both inside/outside of fridge) I began work on installing the Overload Relay Kit and Capacitor.

It took some time because the wiring diagram was completely wrong, some posts in here had mentioned a couple of 'wrong wirings' but somehow mine required an extra 'blue' wire that I have to disconnect from the capacitor and reroute it directly to the Relay Kit vice versa. For this, which I thought for sure that the fridge was gone maybe because (even though the compressor and all others kicked in) the wirings were incorrect and so forth causing my fridge not to cool adequately...

...I realized after much research and common sense that when a fridge has been unplugged for more than 24 hours; to get it fully cooled you have to leave it on for at least 12-24 hours. The manual on my Maytag did not mention this so I went to Whilpool's website and picked out a similar model and downloaded its manual, read the initial few pages and it says to let it cool down for at least 24 hours before putting any food in or it will spoil. It also mentioned that both of the temperature controls should be at 'Mid' level and should not be adjusted after the initial 24 hours.

After 12 hours later, my ice has been fully frozen and the fresh food section has started getting colder. The 'timer' shuts the fridge off and then back on every 15 minutes or so as it should instead of running all night. I now feel like I have a new fridge again.

This site/forum has been much help and the parts ordered from came the very next day...not to mention; the prices are very reasonable. I hope my experience will help others to diagnose similar situations before having to fork out major $$$ for something or somebody else telling them otherwise.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply