Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Javan  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2010 8:03:19 AM(UTC)
Javan

Groups: Registered

So, I have a side by side Frigidaire with the M1 ice maker. About 2 weeks ago, we had a brief power outtage (maybe 1 minute). Since then, no ice. Here is what I have checked.
1. With the arm down, the unit does go through the motions go make ice (rotates, etc.)
2. The solenoid valve does dispense water to the ice maker inlet, however it does not get through the inlet into the tray.

I am curious if the inlet is frozen shut, or clogged, etc. If so, how can I actually unclog of defrost that part of the unit?

Help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2010 1:18:51 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Javan Go to Quoted Post
So, I have a side by side Frigidaire with the M1 ice maker. About 2 weeks ago, we had a brief power outtage (maybe 1 minute). Since then, no ice. Here is what I have checked.
1. With the arm down, the unit does go through the motions go make ice (rotates, etc.)
2. The solenoid valve does dispense water to the ice maker inlet, however it does not get through the inlet into the tray.

I am curious if the inlet is frozen shut, or clogged, etc. If so, how can I actually unclog of defrost that part of the unit?

Help is greatly appreciated.

To de-ice the fill tube, use a hair blower / dryer on medium or high heat setting.

You may have to warm the tube itself and the grommet on the back wall of the refrigerator, to properly deice the assembly.

I dont see a 1 minute power loss causing a problem, If the tube is frozen, or if you noticed smaller cubes, longer time to make ice, you may have a failed fill valve.

:)
Javan  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2010 1:42:34 PM(UTC)
Javan

So, today I took the hair dryer to the ice maker and blasted both front and rear of inlet tube (from inside and outside of fridge).

Currently have two batches of ice being discharged, but they are about 2 hrs in between. Finger crossed that this has is the fix (until I can upgrade the inlet valve)
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:22:49 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

So, today I took the hair dryer to the ice maker and blasted both front and rear of inlet tube (from inside and outside of fridge).

Currently have two batches of ice being discharged, but they are about 2 hrs in between. Finger crossed that this has is the fix (until I can upgrade the inlet valve)

In the mean time,

Check your freezer temperature, make sure the temp. is not below 0 dgrs on the middle shelf.

Also check and replace the water filter in the unit, if you have not yet done that(filters should be replaced at least once a year).

And yes, replace the water inlet valve(s) as soon as possible.

Good luck :)
Javan  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:06:33 AM(UTC)
Javan

So, I was hoping to find a big bucket of ice this morning only to find no more than the bunch from the night before. Now when the ice maker calls for water, I hear a series of loud noises from the water line, similar to water hammer. So, now I am thinking it is air or other blockage. Looks like the water line upgrade to the fridge will come sooner.

Just did a quick look at the ice maker and the entire inlet tube (trough) was frozen solid. Along with some ice particles on the ceiling and back wall around the back wall of freezer, so it certainly looks like a water flow issue. I thawed it out w/ the blow dryer again and will wait and see how it progresses for the rest of the day. Sadly, going on vacation, so this will get tabled until I get back.
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:25:48 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

So, I was hoping to find a big bucket of ice this morning only to find no more than the bunch from the night before. Now when the ice maker calls for water, I hear a series of loud noises from the water line, similar to water hammer. So, now I am thinking it is air or other blockage. Looks like the water line upgrade to the fridge will come sooner.

Just did a quick look at the ice maker and the entire inlet tube (trough) was frozen solid. Along with some ice particles on the ceiling and back wall around the back wall of freezer, so it certainly looks like a water flow issue. I thawed it out w/ the blow dryer again and will wait and see how it progresses for the rest of the day. Sadly, going on vacation, so this will get tabled until I get back.

Good idea,

Let it cycle a few more times,and plan on replacing the fill valve(s),when you return from vacation.

PS. don't forget to turn off the ice maker while you're gone, you dont want to do more damage to the system.

Have a good time :)
Javan  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:28:06 PM(UTC)
Javan

So, it was frozen solid before I left, so I thawed it again, and left with it off. Came back, turned it on. One batch of ice, then about an hour later, I noticed the fill tube freezing up again.

I do have an existing valved off tee in the water line near the fridge, so I am going to replace the existing fill line source when I get back home (now traveling for work)
Joe / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:21:54 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

So, it was frozen solid before I left, so I thawed it again, and left with it off. Came back, turned it on. One batch of ice, then about an hour later, I noticed the fill tube freezing up again.

I do have an existing valved off tee in the water line near the fridge, so I am going to replace the existing fill line source when I get back home (now traveling for work)

Javan,

Good idea, replace the existing water line and the Fill Valve,

You'll be happier, for a longer period of time.
(years I hope).

Drop us a line when you're done or if you need more help.

:) :) :)
Javan  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:27:01 AM(UTC)
Javan

So, today I replaced the old saddle valve, with an existing 1/2" gate valve (already installed, just attached the 1/4" tubing and ran to the fridge).

Have tons of water to the fridge, but still no ice. It may be that I am still frozen up at the inlet to the fridge (top of the fridge, bulkhead fitting). I hit it with the hairdryer for about 5 minutes, but still nothing. Back on the road tomorrow, so I will have to table this for awhile.
Joe / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 5:16:52 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

So, today I replaced the old saddle valve, with an existing 1/2" gate valve (already installed, just attached the 1/4" tubing and ran to the fridge).

Have tons of water to the fridge, but still no ice. It may be that I am still frozen up at the inlet to the fridge (top of the fridge, bulkhead fitting). I hit it with the hairdryer for about 5 minutes, but still nothing. Back on the road tomorrow, so I will have to table this for awhile.

Javan,

I don't think a few minutes was enough to completely melt down the ice,

We know the valve,filter and icemaker are OK from the prevous posts.

Just make sure your freezer temp is not below 0 degrees(preferably 3 to5 degrees, since you're on the road so often), and you should be fine.
:) :) :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply