Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
virtualblues  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 11:22:30 AM(UTC)
virtualblues

Groups: Registered

Amana BR18VL bottom freezer frig not defrosting as it should. Due to the coil icing up the frig operates inefficiently. Here is what troubleshooting I've done and what I know: The defrost heater operates and has continuity. The defrost thermostat has continuity when frozen. The defrost timer has been replaced but behaves similarly to the old timer. The timer is an 8 hour timer though it takes about 24 hours to cycle around to defrost mode (same as the original timer). When I operate the timer manually it sometimes will defrost the iced up coil and sometimes won't. Without manually operating the defrost timer the coil freezes into a solid block of ice. Can I save my frig?? Advice appreciated. Thanks. pk
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 3:52:52 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Replace your defrost thermostat, probably intermittent. If you temporarily short the wires going to it and it reliably defrosts, that would confirm a bad thermostat. Also, check for burnt wires.
denman  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 7, 2010 11:07:10 AM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Often you can see a bad thermostat in that it's case has bulged out re: water has got into it, frozen and messed it up.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
virtualblues  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 8, 2010 8:16:22 PM(UTC)
virtualblues

Thanks for the advice. I replaced the defrost thermostat. I'm monitoring - so far, so good. Thanks. pk
virtualblues  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:35:21 PM(UTC)
virtualblues

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Often you can see a bad thermostat in that it's case has bulged out re: water has got into it, frozen and messed it up.

Thanks, denman and richappy. The new defrost thermostsat is behaving as it should. No more runaway ice on the coil. Upon inspection, the old original thermostat does have a bulge - not at all symmetrical. I appreiciate the expert advice. This forum is outstanding!
denman  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:39:16 AM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
You are welcome

And thanks for getting back to us. Now when others search for a similar problem they will see what actually worked instead of just suggestions about what could be the cause.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply