Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
farty  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 5:12:40 AM(UTC)
farty

Groups: Registered

My frig has been making the occaisional snapping noise, coming from near the compressor somewhere. It seems to be doing it more often. It started a few months ago. It sometimes will snap on and off 4 or 5 times before "catching" and then I can hear the compressor start running. (The fan will be on and running during this time). Is this a relay going bad? Or a start capacitor?

Thanks for any help!!!

I can't afford a new frig right now!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 8:59:08 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: farty Go to Quoted Post
My frig has been making the occaisional snapping noise, coming from near the compressor somewhere. It seems to be doing it more often. It started a few months ago. It sometimes will snap on and off 4 or 5 times before "catching" and then I can hear the compressor start running. (The fan will be on and running during this time). Is this a relay going bad? Or a start capacitor?

Thanks for any help!!!

I can't afford a new frig right now!
\

It would be your relay clicking/snapping, trying to start the compressor.

Capacitors normally don't make noise,until they blow up(not a common occurrence).

Make sure you clean everything inside the compressor compartment while you're there. :)
farty  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 9:10:13 AM(UTC)
farty

Groups: Registered

Hi Joe. What should I do, if anything? Can the contacts be cleaned? Should I wait for it to fail? Are you pretty sure a new relay would do the trick? How long will it take to fail? It doesn't do it alll the time. Frig is otherwise working..

(sorry for all the questions)
-m

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
\

It would be your relay clicking/snapping, trying to start the compressor.

Capacitors normally don't make noise,until they blow up(not a common occurrence).

Make sure you clean everything inside the compressor compartment while you're there. :)
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 10:21:26 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: farty Go to Quoted Post
Hi Joe. What should I do, if anything? Can the contacts be cleaned? Should I wait for it to fail? Are you pretty sure a new relay would do the trick? How long will it take to fail? It doesn't do it alll the time. Frig is otherwise working..

(sorry for all the questions)
-m

I have no problem with questions,

Let me answer your questions, as best I can.

You may want to wait, until it fails.
There's no telling when, but, when it does you'll be out of a refrigerator, until it is repaired.

No there's no way to clean the contacts, the relay is a sealed unit part.

Yes, I'm sure the relay is the cause of the noise,based on the information you gave us.

I've attached the part number and diagram for you, just in case you change your mind.

Part number: AP3363281
Part number: AP3363281

I hope this helps, I don't think you have anything to worry about, for a while.
:)
richappy  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 3:40:00 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Assuming the compressor has been off for a while and pressures equalized, you have a hard starting compressor with a damaged start winding. Sometimes burnt wires will cause this also. Only way to check everything is with a meter to check current draw and voltage to the compressor.
You might want to see if this only occurs during peak hours when the line voltage is lower than usual.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply