Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mlv2148  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2010 1:02:05 PM(UTC)
mlv2148

Groups: Registered

Not sure of the actual age of this refrigerator, but it is a Magic Chef RB171TFA.----NOT RF. I have a leak into the fridge fresh foods section of the refrigerator. I am assuming something is clogging the drainage hose from the freezer that leads to the tray. I am not sure how to get access to the hose itself. I have tried removing the panel in between the fridge and freezer but one of the bolts appears rusted and frozen in there. I tried WD-40 with no luck. With a drill alone it caused the drill to smoke with the torx bit. I am pretty sure this is the panel i need to remove to get to an area to clean out the hose. any ideas or other possible suggestions involving parts or techniques would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2010 1:22:54 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mlv2148 Go to Quoted Post
Not sure of the actual age of this refrigerator, but it is a Magic Chef RB171TFA.----NOT RF. I have a leak into the fridge fresh foods section of the refrigerator. I am assuming something is clogging the drainage hose from the freezer that leads to the tray. I am not sure how to get access to the hose itself. I have tried removing the panel in between the fridge and freezer but one of the bolts appears rusted and frozen in there. I tried WD-40 with no luck. With a drill alone it caused the drill to smoke with the torx bit. I am pretty sure this is the panel i need to remove to get to an area to clean out the hose. any ideas or other possible suggestions involving parts or techniques would be greatly appreciated.

The water in the fresh food, is it in the bottom of the unit ,under the crisper drawers ?

This style unit was famous for water under the crispers, it was usually due to something against the back wall of the fresh food compartment, re directing the defrost water and causing puddles everywhere.

You could also have a clogged drain plug , or drain tube under the crisper bins in the center bottom of the floor.

I'm sure you'll find the problem in one of those areas.
mlv2148  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2010 1:29:33 PM(UTC)
mlv2148

The water is coming from the top section of the fridge. Almost like a condensation dripping from under the freezer. I see no water underneath the crisper drawer.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2010 2:04:23 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

The water is coming from the top section of the fridge. Almost like a condensation dripping from under the freezer. I see no water underneath the crisper drawer.

OK,

You will need to check the door seal/gasket(s) on the freezer and fresh food door(s) for proper seal all around the doors(especially bottom of freezer door and top of fresh food door).

Did you notice ice on the freezer floor ?

You may have to remove the floor, for access to the defrost drain pan and mullion strip seals to check for leaks , clogs or damage(water).

If all checks are OK , you will need this kit:

Part number: AP4009825
Part number: AP4009825

A refrigerator ceiling moisture kit, and any other parts that appear damaged or defective.
mlv2148  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 5, 2010 2:13:16 PM(UTC)
mlv2148

The seal/gaskets look good around the refrigerator. No ice on the floor of the freezer. The floor is all one plastic piece that is not a simple pull out. The bolts in between the fridge and freezer that seem to hold the floor in are rusted and were not able to be removed as mentioned in the original post.
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 6:17:10 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

The seal/gaskets look good around the refrigerator. No ice on the floor of the freezer. The floor is all one plastic piece that is not a simple pull out. The bolts in between the fridge and freezer that seem to hold the floor in are rusted and were not able to be removed as mentioned in the original post.

Unfortunately,

You need to remove the mullion strip(the metal bar between the two compartments)to access the components you need to check and repair.

This unit is roughly 20 years old, and I'm really surprised your problem has arisen now ?

There are a lot more parts involved than you can see(not just the freezer floor, approximately 7).
But you need to remove the mullion strip to access them. :(
mlv2148  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 10:07:04 AM(UTC)
mlv2148

Is it possible to cut the drain hose on the back and try to clear any possible clog going from the bottom up then splice the hose back together to see if that will stop the leak?
Joe / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 10:50:20 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Is it possible to cut the drain hose on the back and try to clear any possible clog going from the bottom up then splice the hose back together to see if that will stop the leak?

There is no drain hose to cut, the drain is in the bottom of the fresh food compartment, under the crisper drawer, the defrost water drains from the "hump" in the ceiling,down the back wall and onto the floor under the crisper(s), then drains into the drain pan. thru the plug and tube.

If you have moisture on the fresh food ceiling, it will be due to a malfunction of a component in the floor of the feezer, a blockage of the drain opening in the freezer floor, evaporator drain pan opening, or an air leak at the door seals or mullion.

I have seen the evaporator drain pan warp, and retain water instead of draining on this style refrigerator.

You may want to go to our parts order screen.

Select "new"(shopping cart).

select "model search", and put your model number in the box.

select: freezer compartment, fresh food compartment,and unit compartment and system.(3 different drop down displays).
I think you'll have a better idea of what I am trying to describe, once you do.

Then we can carry on from there :confused:
mlv2148  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 12:59:52 PM(UTC)
mlv2148

When I removed the metal panel on the back and say that black/gray hose I assumed that was the drain hose for the defrost water, that I could have possible cut and then put back together. If you are saying I can not do that, I may have to consider a new refrigerator based on the age of this model. I attached the image of what I "thought" was the hose, but I guess not.
mlv2148 attached the following image(s):
Magic Chef Back.jpg
Joe / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 1:56:57 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

When I removed the metal panel on the back and say that black/gray hose I assumed that was the drain hose for the defrost water, that I could have possible cut and then put back together. If you are saying I can not do that, I may have to consider a new refrigerator based on the age of this model. I attached the image of what I "thought" was the hose, but I guess not.

No, the gray tube is the refrigerant line(s) going to / from the evaporator.

Did you remove the caulking compound from around blue plastic grommet ?

You may want to install some, all over wires, tubes, stuff it tight, that may reduce the moisture on the ceiling?

It may be worth a try, may keep you going for a while longer.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply