Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
redeyedog  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2007 11:57:30 AM(UTC)
redeyedog

Groups: Registered

Hi, this frig worked great while we were at our old address. The frig was put into storage for about 6 months. After putting it into operation at our new place, it seems that the defrost fan never kicks on although the freezer is cold enough to keep things frozen. Some frost builds.

The refigerator is a problem. No matter what settings we try, the frig doesn't cool. Milk went bad in 3 days.

So far, this is what I have done.

1. Cleaned the condensor coils on the bottom of the frig.
2. Removed the back panel and cleaned everything and checked for loose connections.
3. When I turn off the refrigerator knob in the frig, the condensor fan shuts off. When I turn it on, the fan runs and seems to run forever.
4. While the back cover was off, I observed that the compressor (I think - big round tub thing) was kinda hot to the touch.

Note: I moved the frig myself and I know it wasn't mishandled so I cannot imagine that moving it caused the damage.

Any ideas on how I might get normal operation restored. I'm a computer technician but I don't know jack about refrigerators.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2007 1:10:02 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Pull the back freezer panel and look for any frost, if a little frost,you have major refrigeration problems requiring a tech. If no frost, you may just have a bad start relay. Pull off plastic cover on the side of compressor and pry off the relay.Test it with an ohm meter, if blown open you can get it at appliancepartspros. P# ap3108669
redeyedog  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2007 9:40:43 AM(UTC)
redeyedog

Groups: Registered

Thanks for your ideas. I have a volt meter/ohm meter and I'm looking in the Whirlpool owner's manual parts list for this model and cannot find anything called a start relay.

There are two parts, 2149959 Production (Includes Relay) and 2154759 Service (Includes Relay) under the 2162358 Cover. I believe you are referring to one of these. There is no ice behind the back cover.

The temperature in the freezer is -15F, the refrigerator is 47F when the temperature knobs are both set to recommended settings which is 3 on both sides.

Unfortunately, your ap part number and picture do not give me much to go by. When testing the part, exactly what am I looking for?
richappy  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2007 3:56:20 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You are looking for a blown open relay. It will have no continuity at all.That's the big box that plugs into the compressor.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply