Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jjtorgi  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 1, 2010 2:56:09 PM(UTC)
jjtorgi

Groups: Registered

The coils in the freezer have been freezing up and causing the unit not to cool properly. I've troubleshot the thermostat, the defrost timer, and heating element all seem to be working properly except the thermostat. I plan on replacing it tomorrow (nothings open today it's sunday). I temporarily hard wired the leads that were wired to the thermostat and ran it through a defrost cycle until the coils were ice free. (I then took the two leads apart to be safe)

My concern is, after the unit began cooling again it begins to ice over almost immediately and only on the bottom half of the coil. Is this normal?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2010 8:53:33 AM(UTC)
applianceman

If when it ices up the entire coil is covered with ice you shouldn’t be concerned with this. If however when it ices up only the bottom of the coils are covered with ice you have a refrigeration problem. When the compressor comes back on it should start to frost the coils starting with the bottom and working its way up to the top. With the door opened and the light on it will take longer for the frost to get to the top. There is a picture on this page that shows what the coils will look like if there is a defrost problem http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/refrigerator-not-cooling2.html

If the coils do not look like that (as in the frost isn’t that far up) you may have a different problem.
jjtorgi  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2010 10:52:48 AM(UTC)
jjtorgi

If it's not something in the defrost system what should I troubleshoot next and how?
Gene  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2010 2:34:53 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jjtorgi Go to Quoted Post
If it's not something in the defrost system what should I troubleshoot next and how?

"If" in such situation means guessing and guessing is not an efficient and correct way to fix anything. You may want to replace the defrost thermostat and watch the refrigerator for a few days. Then post the results (if anything is wrong) and the complete model number of the refrigerator.

Gene.
jjtorgi  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 5:07:39 AM(UTC)
jjtorgi

I replaced the thermostat about 24 hours ago and the following is a picture of what it looks like.

http://bridgewaterschoolofmusic.com/photo.JPG

All of the defrost components I'm familiar with are functioning properly as far as I can tell (timer, heater, thermostat)

Still the temperature in the freezer is just below freezing and the refrigerator is at 50 degrees.

The refrigerator is a GE and the model # is TBX25R

Any suggestions on what to do next is appreciated.
applianceman  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 5:33:33 AM(UTC)
applianceman

This is not good. You have a refrigeration problem such as low on gas, bad compressor or clogged capillary tube. In any case this is not a do-it-yourself job, you will need to call a professional. Expect a high repair bill $300 + you may consider a new refrigerator. I hate to tell you this, I rather tell you a quick fix. One more thing if you decide to repair it, do not let a repairman just shoot gas in the refrigerator and say it is fixed. If it is in fact low on gas he has got to fix the leak or in 6 months you will be in the same boat. I hear a lot about tech just shooting gas into a refrigerator and saying it is fixed don’t fall for that.

P.S Do you mind if I keep that picture to post to help others in the future.
I never have my camera with me when I run across this.
jjtorgi  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2010 5:39:31 AM(UTC)
jjtorgi

I was afraid you were going to say that. Anyway thank you very much for your help I really appreciate it.
As for the picture, feel free to use it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply