Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Merchant  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 19, 2008 5:23:19 PM(UTC)
Merchant

Groups: Registered

Yesterday I noticed the stuff in my freezer was melted so I pulled all of it out and checked the temp. It was 42 in the freezer and 56 in the fridge. This morning it was 28 in the freezer and 42 in the fridge but it seems to fluctuate throughout the day. Can anyone direct me to some trouble shooting manuals or where to begin when trying to identify this problem?

Thank you
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kayakcrzy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 5:02:06 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

Look in the back of the freezer, close to the bottom, and see if there is a frost build up. If there is you have a defrost problem. See if the fan is running in the freezer, and make sure the fan in the back, next to the compressor is working. Check that, and we will find the culprit. Tom ApplianceEducator.com
Gene  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:43:39 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Just to add my 2 pennies... The compressor in this model located on the top of the refrigerator. Remove the top panel and check if the fan behind the condenser coil is running. Clean the condenser coil (#16 on the break down diagram). Post the results.

Here are the break down diagrams for the Kitchen Aid refrigerator Model KSSS42QDW05

Gene.
Merchant  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:40:23 PM(UTC)
Merchant

Thanks for the input. Here's what I've got so far.
The freezer and fridge seem to have stayed at 10 and 40 degrees for the last 3 day now. I pulled off the top cover off and checked the condenser and compressor and found the following:
-Fan was running
-Condenser was not too dirty but I blew it out and vacuumed it off.
-Compressor was very warm(measured 140 to 150 degrees) not sure if that is normal
-Foam insulation that covers the copper tubes going to the compressor was melted in some spots. Looked worse the closer the tube got to the compressor. Not sure if this is old damage or new (see next finding)
-Appears that some one has done work on the compressor before. (fridge came with house which I bought last year, fridge is 10 years old) Under the top cover there were loose pieces of copper tube about one inch long with a crimp on one end and a tubing cutter cut on the other. Protective rubber caps lying around (looks like some thing that would cover the output/input tubes if you bought a new compressor). Also found some cut zip ties up there as well.

I also did not find any frost buildup inside the freezer.

Looking for suggestions on how to proceed

Thanks in advance.
libertyappl  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2008 6:17:31 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Adding my 2 cents as well. someone had definately done some work or replaced the compressor (and apparently didn't clean up after they were done) It's possible that it has developed a freon leak at one of the solder joints.
It could also be in the controls.
Nat
Merchant  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:41:52 PM(UTC)
Merchant

Well the freezer and fridge have been getting hot again. It usually starts cooling again once I turn it off and back on, maybe it running MS Vista:) , but tonight it does not seem to be doing that even. THe fan a on the top is blowing and it sounds like the one in the freezer is running as well. How can I tell if the compressor is running? Any suggestions are appreciated. Please help!
libertyappl  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2008 5:12:13 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

One way you can see if the copressor is running is. While the fans are running9so you know that it's not going trhu a defrost cycle. Use a long screw driver as a sethescope, place the tip on the compressor and your ear on the handle if it's running you will hear it.
Nat
Merchant  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2008 8:49:34 PM(UTC)
Merchant

Thanks Libertyappl

I got out my car stethoscope and listened to the compressor which sounds like its running. When I switch the unit on and off you can hear the compressor start up with the scope.

The freezer got back down to temp this morning(10F) but this evening was up to around (45F). The fridge side follows same pattern plus 20F

I also took the cover off the inside of the freezer and checked what the diagrams call the lower unit. I found the following conditions:
-Fan was running
-No ice or frost build up on the evaporator
-I shot the evaporator coils with a temp gun and the temp was about 60F.

Any idea what that means if my compressor is running but the evaporator is not cooling down?
I was thinking maybe I was out of refrigerant or had a valve to the compressor (if there is one) not working. Any ideas on what to check next?
libertyappl  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2008 8:55:27 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

If your evaporator coils are that warm and the compressor is running. Then the compressor is probably shot......You would have to have a tech replace it if that's the route you choose to do. It would cost about $400 for us to do it, but maybe more where you live.....the compressor is right at $200 and it's a time consumming job that takes special equipment to do, not to mention being EPA certified.
Nat
Merchant  
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:24:49 PM(UTC)
Merchant

Thank you again Libertyappl. Do you recommend a fix or are we nearing the point of being totaled (not sure how much a new one to fit the built in cabinet costs).

Gene, I noticed your company is in Orange county. How much would you charge for this repair & do you do work in the Inland Empire area or strictly Orange county?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply