Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
darrellmak  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2010 6:03:20 AM(UTC)
darrellmak

Groups: Registered

I have a Kenmore refrigerator (#596.75503400) that is only 5 years, 10 months old. The compressor will not start up (or only intermittently starts up). When the compressor attempts to start, I hear a buzz for several seconds, then a click. After a few minutes, the same sound reoccurs. I believe the buzz sound is the compressor trying to start, then being shut down by the overload (the click).

I tested the compressor pins, and they appear good (3.6, 4.5 and 8.1 ohms resistance between the pins). The capacitor tested good. The compressor uses a solid-state relay that makes a rattling sound when shaken, so I replaced the relay/capacitor, but it did not correct the problem.

However, when I unplug the refrigerator overnight and plug it back in the next day, the compressor will usually kick on smoothly the first or second try and runs fine until the desired temperature is reached (or the unit stops to defrost). But when it tries to restart, it runs into the same problem.

Given these details, do you have any idea whether this problem might be caused by: 1) a bad relay/capacitor, 2) a bad compressor, or 3) something else?

I'm suspecting a bad compressor, but since the resistance numbers are ok and it does run fine once it starts, is that really the problem?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.