Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nlt99  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 9:55:41 AM(UTC)
nlt99

Groups: Registered

Hi!
I replaced the starter on the compressor of our frige because the compressor wouldn't start. It then took a long time for the frige to cool down and I was wondering if the r134a charge might be low. I asked a serviceman how I could check the charge myself and he said to measure he run current on the compressor itself. He said normal should be about 2.9 amps, and if it was around 2 amps or less the charge was low.

I measured the run current and it was about 1.1 amps, but now that the frige is cooled down it is maintaining about -5 degrees in the freezer and about 37 degrees in the frige with both temp dials about mid-range, so it seems to be running fine. Do you know if this method of checking charge status is accurate? If not, can you tell me a better way to check myself? Unfortunately there are no taps to connect gauges to... it looks like they purged the system, filled it, pinched off the tube and soldered the end to permanently plug it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Nick
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.