Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jobless2  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:37:29 AM(UTC)
jobless2

Groups: Registered

I have a maytag refrigator that runs good until it goes in the defrost mode then it shuts down and will not start. I replaced relay/capacitor----the heater/evap----thermostat defost ,the adaptor defrost then it runs fine until it goes into the defrost mode then will not start. I unplug and start over. Its a good refrigator It may have been hit by a power surge. Is their any thing that I need to replace. jobless
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:52:48 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If the compressor will not reliably start when hot, you probably have a damaged start winding. It is normal for a compressor to be hard starting when shut off and turned on after a short period of time, internal pressures must equalize. Unfortunately, this is a modern, efficient fractional hp compressor that cannot respond well to a hard start kit, will just damage/destroy the start winding.
I assume the compressor will auto-start after it cools down.
jobless2  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2010 3:51:45 PM(UTC)
jobless2

richappy Thanks for the reply. I thought that may be the problem but the refrigator will start many times until it goes through the defrost cycle.some it runs two to 5 days before it shuts down then it wont start until I take the relay/ capacitor off and change it out with my old parts. jobless2 any way maybe I am learning a little
richappy  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2010 12:31:54 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You are fortunate, from the syptoms I would suspect either an intermittant adaptive defrost board, or a bad cold control. It is not easy to test the adaptive defrost board, but you can test the cold control. Just tap on it the next time it fails. If it works when you tap on it it's bad, if not, it's probably your adaptive defrost. You will have to pull the control panel down to tap on it, or just reach in under the control panel on the rear right and tap on it.
jobless2  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2010 6:03:24 AM(UTC)
jobless2

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
You are fortunate, from the syptoms I would suspect either an intermittant adaptive defrost board, or a bad cold control. It is not easy to test the adaptive defrost board, but you can test the cold control. Just tap on it the next time it fails. If it works when you tap on it it's bad, if not, it's probably your adaptive defrost. You will have to pull the control panel down to tap on it, or just reach in under the control panel on the rear right and tap on it.

Richappy Thank you for your reply and the help. I will try what you have told me to do. It is really nice to have good people to help in this day and times.Thank you very much jobless
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply