Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
op3l  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 5:05:43 PM(UTC)
op3l

Groups: Registered

Hi people, first time to the forums and have a question/problem. This all started roughly 2 weeks ago when the power went off suddenly and then came back on. The problem is the Sub Zero refrigerator. The compressor doesn't seem to want to stop. I can turn the dial to adjust the coolness to "off" and that will shut it off for a bit, then when it comes back on it just keeps going and doesn't stop. The upper part of the fridge where the compressors are located is getting very very hot due to this problem. Also I'm not sure if this is related but the ice maker has stopped working as well. So I guess my question is... what is going on with the fridge? Could this be a simple fix of just replacing parts? Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 8:22:06 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

Don't know much really about your brand, but refrigeration in general. It sounds like you either have a defrost problem or your temperature control is out.
If you can locate a defrost timer and advance it into defrost your compressor should kick off. If it doesn't kick off and hear the pop of ice cracking and maybe a sizzle of the heater then it's probably your timer. Of course it may be a defrost module.
Just giving some general options for you. All else fails Call in a tech who works on Sub Zero.
Hope this helps
Nat
op3l  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 10:49:48 PM(UTC)
op3l

Quote:
Don't know much really about your brand, but refrigeration in general. It sounds like you either have a defrost problem or your temperature control is out.
If you can locate a defrost timer and advance it into defrost your compressor should kick off. If it doesn't kick off and hear the pop of ice cracking and maybe a sizzle of the heater then it's probably your timer. Of course it may be a defrost module.
Just giving some general options for you. All else fails Call in a tech who works on Sub Zero.
Hope this helps
Nat
I'm not much of a repair/tech guy, the defrost you're mentioning is when the compressor stops and the fridge is kind of idling am I correct? It no longer goes into that mode unless I turn the freezer/refrigerator to off. Then it'll kind of stay off for a bit and come on when the temperature gets too high. I'm not sure what a defrost timer is nor where to get it so I guess it's time to call a tech out.

Thank you very much Nat for your help.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2008 5:03:05 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: op3l Go to Quoted Post
...The compressor doesn't seem to want to stop. I can turn the dial to adjust the coolness to "off" and that will shut it off for a bit, then when it comes back on it just keeps going and doesn't stop. The upper part of the fridge where the compressors are located is getting very very hot due to this problem. Also I'm not sure if this is related but the ice maker has stopped working as well...

There are two compressors in your refrigerator - one for the freezer and another one for the fresh food compartment. They are absolutely separated besides they use the same condenser coil and condenser fan.

My question is: which part of the refrigerator are you talking about? I'm assuming this is the freezer because you mentioned the ice maker.

The first thing I would do is remove the top panel, check the condenser fan motor and clean the condenser coil. Using a flash light, point it through the condenser coil from one side and check if you see it from another side. Wait about 24 hours after cleaning and check the temperature in both compartments. Post the results.

Gene.
op3l  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2008 8:06:13 PM(UTC)
op3l

I'm not sure how it fixed it self, but what I did was left the freezer section off for a whole night, then restarted it.

Now the fridge seems to be running normally. I do check the condenser part and vacumn it regularily.

Thank you for all your help!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply