Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
whitman  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 11:16:34 AM(UTC)
whitman

Groups: Registered

Two year old Kenmore elite with bottom freezer is not defrosting. Service was called and repair man replaced electronic control. Three weeks later, fully frosted over again. I spoke to repair and he said that he did not check any of the components on the defrost system. He said he only checked the control panel and it said there was an error so he replaced it. I have now decided to take this matter on myself. My background is engineering so I am comfortable with the task.

I wanted to confirm that i do not have a defrost timer in my unit, and that the electronic control board tells the defrost system when to come on?

My plan is to check the defrost heater and defrost thermostat for proper function and replace either of those if they are bad. Is there anything else I should also check at that time?

thanks for your help!

Full model number: 596.76053701
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

whitman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:21:10 PM(UTC)
whitman

Opened up back panel tonight to check on defrost system. Disconnected defrost heater at both ends and checked continuity accross it. Measured 33 ohms. Wiring diagram that came with unit lists normal range of 29 ohms +/- 5%. So this seems to be within range.

Next checked defrost thermostat. It was warmed to room temp by the time I got to it, so it read open, which the wiring diagram lists as normal at room temp. Will need to freeze it somehow to check the continuity again. Any tips on how to do this without a second freezer? It takes me too long to get inside the back panel.

Wanted to check the thermistor as well, but I could not find how to unplug it without cutting wires. Is that the only way to check it?

Thanks for any help!

whitman
richappy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:22:06 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Most probable failure is the defrost thermostat part #W10165425 You can check the thermister by clipping the wires. I think it is around 12 Kohm at room temperature.
whitman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2010 7:21:54 AM(UTC)
whitman

Thanks richappy

Last night after posting the follow up I opened the toe kick panel on the bottom of the fridge and found that the condensing coil was packed with cat hair and dust. It was disgusting! So I grabbed my coil brush and vacuum and went at it. I also took of the rear panel and cleaned the coils and fan. Things are much cleaner under there now.

Also while under there, I discovered a trouble shooting guide that was taped to the bottom of the unit. It has instructions on how to do a forced defrost and also various service tests for checking the defrost thermostat circuit, thermistors, condenser fan, evap fan, etc. I let the fridge/freezer cool over night and checked them all this morning and all systems were working fine. (Thermostat was closed)

So now this leaves me a little confused....Could the defrost problems be caused by the clogged condenser coils? Or perhaps the thermostat is opening too soon? I may just order the thermostat since its easy to get at in the back panel and its a cheap part.

I attached the trouble shooting guide and wiring diagram in case anyone comes across this post and is looking for it. my guess is it applies to any recent model kenmore bottom mount refrigerator.
File Attachment(s):
richappy  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2010 7:41:32 AM(UTC)
richappy

Temporarily short the wires from the defrost thermostat and force defrost per instructions. If it defrosts, this would confirm a bad defrost thermostat.
whitman  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 1, 2010 8:26:07 PM(UTC)
whitman

So I have ruled out the thermostat (i think). I performed the forced defrost this weekend to see if the thermostat was working. The fridge had been plugged in for a week now and I could see ice build up on the coils so I know that it has not been defrosting. I started the defrost and it soon started dripping and I could hear the sizzles as the water hit the element. The catch pan under the unit filled pretty good so I believe it was not defrosting all week.

So where do I go from here? It does not look like its the thermostat, and the heater check out ok as well. Perhaps the adaptive defrost on the control board? Like I said in my first post, the repair man replaced the control board and said it was reporting an error. Its possible that it was replaced with a damaged unit i suppose. Unfortunately, its past his 30 day warranty so I may have to get a new one.

Is there a way to test the control board?

Or could the thermostat be opening at too low of a temperature?

Thanks!
whitman  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 8:05:03 AM(UTC)
whitman

Is it possible to test the adaptive defrost module on the control board?

I have ruled out thermostat, heater, thermistors etc. Last piece is the electronic control. Since this part is $100, I want to be sure I have the problem part located for sure.

thanks!
richappy  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 3:32:45 PM(UTC)
richappy

Go to the sticky above "GE refrigerator (GS* & PS* models) .... page 3, look for my response to manually force defrost.
whitman  
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 7, 2010 11:21:29 AM(UTC)
whitman

I did not find any posts from you on page 3 of that thread. But I know how to do a forced defrost. I have been doing it every few days to keep the ice buildup down until i find why the fridge is not defrosting on its own. I have ruled out most other pieces of the defrost system except for the adaptive defrost control on the main board. I am trying to find out how i can do that. one option is to just replace the board, but its $100 and i would like to be sure before i order one.

thanks
richappy  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 8, 2010 12:42:05 AM(UTC)
richappy

There is no way to test the motherboard, GE technicians with special equipment can.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply