Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dave in DFW  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 6:52:23 AM(UTC)
Dave in DFW

Groups: Registered

First off, Great Web site. Thanks!

I have a GE Profile Arctica and I'm having frost build up in the ice shoot and bottom of the ice dispenser. It gets so thick that it will block the ice from coming down the shoot. I'm thinking the ice dispensing door is not sealing shut but looking for other opinions. I can hear the door shut after I use the ice dispenser and I feel it with my finger and don't fell any obstructions.

Thanks for any help.

Dave
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

abadfish66  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 7:06:59 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

Your gonna want to look at the rubber flapper, it does not have to be stuck open for you to get frost. It could be it is not completely seated on the plastic housing. Get a flashlight, and with the freezer door open, shine the light down the iceshoot, and look up in and check if you can see light.
Dave in DFW  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 7:12:55 AM(UTC)
Dave in DFW

OK, I did that. I can see a bit of light at the bottom of the flapper. How can I get that thing off to inspect it/ replace it?
abadfish66  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 7:19:24 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Get a putty knife or butter knife and use it to pop the front cover off the dispenser. there is a gap underneath. Slide in in that gap and pop it off, disconnect the wiring, then take of the 4 screws from the corners of the housing and slide the assy out. There you have access to that flapper. If the flapper is just coming off a bit you can put it back on, if its deformed, you will need to replace it.
Dave in DFW  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 7:50:37 AM(UTC)
Dave in DFW

Looks like a need a new flapper. Thanks for your help. It had a small indent in the bottom part of it that I can't get to smooth out.
abadfish66  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 7:55:50 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Here you go AP3672582 $5.15
Dave in DFW  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 1, 2008 10:50:19 AM(UTC)
Dave in DFW

Got the new flapper on there. Still getting a bit of light in there and still getting the frost. I tried to re-adjust the spring to make it tighter but I can still see just a bit of light. Any ideas?
rueter  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2010 12:25:33 PM(UTC)
rueter

I had the problem with the flapper door not completely closing after dispensing ice cubes. Consequently frost built up in side the freezer with the open flapper letting in outside air until it looked like a blizzard had come. My problem was the solenoid in the door that closes the flapper. When the refrigerator was about 6 years old, the solenoid was rusted so that it was frozen in its coil so it would not shut the flapper. I cleaned rust off of the solenoid with sandpaper and applied lubricant liberally. This lasted two years until the problem reoccured. This time I ordered a new solenoid assembley from GE (my GE uses part # WR62X10020 costing $47.25). We'll see how long it lasts this time. A friend of mine has the same refrig and same problem, but he bought the service contract. His service person says this problem happens often.

In my model, you insert a blunt butter knife blade on the outside of the freezer door below the outside trim of the dispenser. There are two plastic tabs along the bottom of the trim that you must release. Then you can swing out the bottom of the trim plate and remove it, leaving the body of the dispenser still mounted in the door. Then you unmount the touch panel again by releasing the plastic tabs at the bottom and let it hang by it wires. (You might want to disconnect the power beforehand.) Remove four screws, one at each corner of the housing that remains in the door. Then remove the inside plastic housing and see the solenoid inside on the right hand side. Remove the three screws holding the solenoid base and open the flapper door to let the actuator arm release from the solenoid piston. Remove the solenoid cable from the connector. Reverse this procedure to insert a new solenoid.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply