Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Renovator-T  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:41:46 PM(UTC)
Renovator-T

Groups: Registered

Hello there,

I introduced myself here:

http://forum.appliancepartspros...bie-forum.html#post30020

I have an issue with my own personal refrigerator. It's a GE Monogram that has a bottom freezer pull out drawer style door. I'm having an issue with the evaporator fan becoming noisy.

This started several months back when I was cleaning out the fridge. I had the door open for about 20 minutes or so, so I turned off the unit and proceeded to clean out the interior.... before my wife returned home with the groceries. I had done this procedure countless times before, but a strange thing happened this time.

As the unit was starting to cool itself back down again, the evap fan was making a growling noise. The noise varied in pitch and eventually, after the freezer cooled down to zero, the noise stopped. I didn't hear from the noise for several months...or until now.

When you have the fridge / freezer open for a period of time, and the temp rises, the fan starts to make noise again. The panel or grate in front of the fan gets ice buildup on it and almost blocks the air channels in the panel, but as soon as the unit cools back down to zero, the fan doesn't growl anymore, and the ice dissipates.

Since I'm concerned over losing all the food in the fridge freezer, I would like to address this before either the motor fails or something more drastic happens...such as a burned up motor / fridge.

I've been to the appliance repair parts .com website (where I buy all of my replacement appliance parts) and found the schematic for the parts required to do the job. I just need to find out if my thermistor is in the harness or not. I'm assuming that replacing the fan motor / blade / grommets will do the trick.

Any suggestions on this repair before I order $100 worth of parts to find that my idea that the evap fan motor is going bad?

Thanks in advance (TIA)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:50:30 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi,
My theory - It sounds like you are getting a windchill effect from your unit trying to cool the air with the door open. You evaporator fan blade blows the cold air from the freezer upward into the refridgerator and the moisture in the air is freezing on the fan motor. Thus making it noisy for a time, the noise goes away after the unit goes thru the defrost cycle or the fan nocks all the ice chunks off the motor and shroud.

My suggestion would be not to leave the door open for extended periods of time sepecially during the summer months. Wait until the humidity levels are low for thorough cleanings.
Hope that helps.
Nat
Renovator-T  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:50:48 AM(UTC)
Renovator-T

Thanks Nat,

I appreciate your help. Just seems a little strange, to me, that a $4k fridge would make this kind of racket and would be considered normal process of defrosting.

Again... Thank you.

Thought added:

It's extremely loud, can be heard throughout the house, and is quite annoying to have to listen to for 4-5 hours.
Renovator-T  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 3:21:48 AM(UTC)
Renovator-T

I guess there isn't anyone here who knows this particular fridge issue.

Oh well, Thanks again to Nat for your thoughts.
richappy  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2008 2:56:17 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Pull of the back freezer panel and check the evaporator fan. The rubber supports may be weak allowing the fan blade to strike the housing. Try to pull the fan blade up on the motor shaft so it turns freely. You can also add a rubber grommet to the base of the fan motor.
Renovator-T  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 5:05:00 AM(UTC)
Renovator-T

Thanks Rich.

I'll try it this week and let you know what happens

Most appreciated... Have a great week!
Renovator-T  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:16:40 AM(UTC)
Renovator-T

Rich & Nat,

Just wanted to keep you posted on your help.

I shut the fridge down and took off the drawer front. I found the bottom of the evap coil was encased in ice. After removing the panel, I found that the motor had significant vertical play in it, so I ordered new bushings, motor, fan blade ring compression, and a few other parts to repair the worn bushings on the FF main door including a new closer.

Cleaned the freezer out and let it defrost completely. Put it back together and I haven't heard the noise since. Maybe it was a buildup of Ice inside the freezer, but either way, I'm replacing the evap fan, bushings and the freezer light bulb as a preventative measure. Since then there's been no more icing.

Nat may have hit the problem from the start and the excessive moisture that was in the freezer from the start may have been a contributing factor.

Thanks again for all of your help..... Most appreciated....:)
Renovator-T  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 5, 2008 4:11:18 PM(UTC)
Renovator-T

Update,

Changed out the evap fan, bushings, cleaned out the unit, lubricated the door seal and ...... Not a peep.... (knock on wood)

Thanks to everyone who participated and helped out.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply