Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cajunrc  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:06:34 PM(UTC)
cajunrc

Groups: Registered

This ice maker has been making a clunk clunk noise for some time. I finally located the noise and it is coming from the circulating pump. It seems at times the water resevoir is not full, well below half full, and the pump must be running dry. If I manually add water the noise stops. The ice maker makes ice and fills up and shuts off, then a few days later production slows down for a few days and then starts up again. What can I do to correct the low water in the resevoir?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

abadfish66  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:11:39 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

The reason you are probably running out of water is either the ice slab is not completely coming off the cold plate and hanging up, therefore when it is time for the water to run down the cold plate again the water hits the iceslab and runs into the bin instead of back into the reservoir. So, you could either have a dirty cold plate, or the heater grid is not working. Look for a broken wire on the heater grid. let me know
cajunrc  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:14:16 PM(UTC)
cajunrc

Originally Posted by: abadfish66 Go to Quoted Post
The reason you are probably running out of water is either the ice slab is not completely coming off the cold plate and hanging up, therefore when it is time for the water to run down the cold plate again the water hits the iceslab and runs into the bin instead of back into the reservoir. So, you could either have a dirty cold plate, or the heater grid is not working. Look for a broken wire on the heater grid. let me know

I don't believe this is the reason, I just cleaned the cold plate and sides by hand this weekend and there is no water dripping in the ice bin. The grid was changed last Dec. because the repairman said the noise was because the grid was bad. Since I cleaned the plate last weekend and started the ice maker it is running and the bin is full. It is just making this noise and when I check the water level it is very low.
abadfish66  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:52:32 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Does the supply water come from a reverse osmosis system, through an inline filter or just the house plumbing?
cajunrc  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:10:50 AM(UTC)
cajunrc

Does the supply water come from a reverse osmosis system, through an inline filter or just the house plumbing?

It is from the house supply at the cold water tap for the sink. I have 1/4" copper tubing.
abadfish66  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:17:27 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

You need to watch it for a bit. Turn it on, make sure the reservoir fills with water, watch the pump pump the water over the cold plate and see if any water is not going back into the reservoir. As it makes a slab of ice pay attention to the water again, and when it releases the ice slab, make sure it slides all the way onto the grid. As a service tech these are the stepd I must do to find out where the water is going. This whole process will only take about 20 minutes.
cajunrc  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 11:00:10 AM(UTC)
cajunrc

You need to watch it for a bit. Turn it on, make sure the reservoir fills with water, watch the pump pump the water over the cold plate and see if any water is not going back into the reservoir. As it makes a slab of ice pay attention to the water again, and when it releases the ice slab, make sure it slides all the way onto the grid. As a service tech these are the stepd I must do to find out where the water is going. This whole process will only take about 20 minutes.

Thanks for the ideas, I will try this this weekend. One other question I have is when does the compressor know when the sheet of ice is ready to be released and how does it do this. The first ice maker I had before this one had a thickness dial to select the thickness of the ice and this one does not.
abadfish66  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 12:16:57 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

There is a sensor mounted on the underside of the cold plate, and when it reaches a certain temp it tells it to release the slab. Also if you were to disconnect this sensor it would default to a 25 minute harvest cycle.
cajunrc  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 11:14:06 AM(UTC)
cajunrc

I tried watching it this weekend but for 3-4 days it didn't have the problem of low water. Then I heard the noise but could not tell why it was low on water. Sunday morning it was cavitating again and I poured water in the water tank and it quit for a while, I checked it a while later it was off and the red cleaning light was blinking, I turned it off and then turned it on and it stared making ice again. It ran low on water a few other times Sunday and then again this morning after I was up a while the red light started blinking again. Any idea?
abadfish66  
#10 Posted: : Monday, August 25, 2008 11:48:21 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

The red light blinking indicates kinked drain. I assume you have the auxillary pump attached to your ice machine.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply