Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
paulburgh  
#11 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 3:48:59 PM(UTC)
paulburgh

Groups: Registered

The frig did have the clear plastic zip tied housing, I am completely amazed at the complete accuracy of everything you described, and I cut the green wire and all seems well. I am guessing the white wire was related to temperature reading? What was the green wire? Will the display show the correct temperature? I can't begin to say how cool this is or how much I appreciate all of your help. I figured there must be a fix somewhere but thought tracking it down might be more difficult. Hated to get rid of the thing knowing mechanically it was fine. Unbelieveable, amazing, awesome. I had disconnected the damper and duct taped some of the vents closed and had the thing working ok. I have reconnected that. I am guessing the compressor may have been working too hard that way. This is the coolest experience access to the internet has ever afforded me. I AM STOKED! Do you think it will hold up?
abadfish66  
#12 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 4:11:30 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

I am very glad to have helped. The white wire is used for temps you are correct, and because of the software on the new board this wire is not needed, and causes the damper to remain closed as you experienced. As for the green wire, that was just a ground wire, because the board itself has a ground that ground you cut must be removed (not too sure the exact reason for that). The display will show the correct temp, and everything will be just fine. If for any reason it is not ok you can reach me here, or at my e-mail listed below.
abadfish66  
#13 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 4:12:47 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Can you just explain to me one thing? Why was the heater replaced?
paulburgh  
#14 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 4:28:25 PM(UTC)
paulburgh

I was originally having a problem of ice forming in the bottom of the refrigerator. I think the first repair guy replaced everything that could have contributed to that problem. He took the bottom out of the freezer and replaced everything that was in there. I have a warranty on the thing and I think the whole warranty piece could impact their procedures and agressiveness with diagnosis. They were actually the subcontractor in this case. I thought, from his behavior, he may have had a concern with the new board so I thought that there could be a compatibility issue there. The second guy ordered a new damper even though the display was showing the wrong temp. That did not add up to me. Are you guys supported in any way by the manufacturers? I also called GE, they were not much help. I still can't believe the thing is fixed. That is so cooool. no pun intended.....
abadfish66  
#15 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 4:36:03 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

FYI. I have been a GE tech for 8 years now, so I know the ins and outs of all our products. I especially know what happens when subcontractors put one of our boards in and don't read the instructions that come with the board. If you only knew how many times I have had to fix this exact same problem.
paulburgh  
#16 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 4:50:32 PM(UTC)
paulburgh

Do you guys use the sight as a way to track down and resolve issues like you did with this one? I see the cox e-mail address. Orange Co., San Deigo?
abadfish66  
#17 Posted : Friday, August 15, 2008 4:53:16 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

No, I just do this because I enjoy helping people. GE is in no way affiliated with this site. Phoenix, AZ
paulburgh  
#18 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2008 9:18:40 AM(UTC)
paulburgh

Well I sure appreciate your help. Can I send you a gift card or something? The thing is running great now.....
abadfish66  
#19 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2008 9:42:25 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Alot of times in this business, people are angry about their appliance breaking, and tend to take it out on the repair guys, when in actuality, we are their to help and I think I can speak for most when I say there is nothing like getting a job well done from someone for just a simple act of kindness. Be nice to your repair guy, and 9 times out of 10 he will go above and beyond to take care of you. Thanks for the appreciation.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply