Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lstrahan  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:11:23 PM(UTC)
lstrahan

Groups: Registered

The overload protector/start relay has blown on our side by side. I have ordered 8201786 Relay Overload Kit. The capacitor housing does not exactly match what was on the compressor originally. It does match the "style 2, Discrete" option according to the installation instructions. According to Style 2, I need to use one of the extra overload protectors that was sent with the kit(EGY80 compressor needs part 2187145). When I try to put that overload into the capacitor housing, the terminal blade does not match up with the opening and I cannot push the overload completely in.
Is there a different part or capacitor housing that I need to more closely match "style 2", or can I just "extend" the width of the opening in the housing to accomodate the wider blade on 2187145(the overload that came installed had a much narrower blade)? Thank you!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:04:01 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You should have ordered the factory service part AP3885081 This is a plug and chug replacement item with the correct overload device which is critical to protect the compressor.
lstrahan  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:38:05 AM(UTC)
lstrahan

When I search the site for that part number, this same 8201786 kit comes up. I do not see where part AP3885081 can be ordered separately, or where it is specifically listed in this kit. Is there something else that I need to search for to find this specific part? Thanks!
richappy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:18:48 PM(UTC)
richappy

They have substituted the original part with the 8201786 part. If the new one requires smaller spade terminals, then you will need to crimp on the smaller spade terminals on the wires.
TrvlngSldr2006  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 31, 2010 11:06:28 AM(UTC)
TrvlngSldr2006

I have the same issue. I had start relay part number 2216722 (Whirlpool) attached to the compressor which now has been replaced by part number 8201786. After receiving the part, the wiring does not match up. It appeared to be a simple fix if I could have used the original part number. Now I am not sure where the white and red wire attach to the new start relay. My compressor is model EGY80. Which style should I use (Style 1 or Style 2(discrete). Need assistance. Thanks.
TrvlngSldr2006  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 31, 2010 5:12:15 PM(UTC)
TrvlngSldr2006

Originally Posted by: TrvlngSldr2006 Go to Quoted Post
I have the same issue. I had start relay part number 2216722 (Whirlpool) attached to the compressor which now has been replaced by part number 8201786. After receiving the part, the wiring does not match up. It appeared to be a simple fix if I could have used the original part number. Now I am not sure where the white and red wire attach to the new start relay. My compressor is model EGY80. Which style should I use (Style 1 or Style 2(discrete). Need assistance. Thanks.

Okay, I figured out my problem. First I have a Whirlpool model GD2LHGXKQ00 fridge, compressor is the EGY80. I installed the PTC relay into the top two pegs on the compressor (hooked up the white wire) and installed the overload protector (part number 2187145) into the bottom peg (hooked up the red wire). My fridge does not have the blue wire like some talk about. Too easy, right? Once I plugged the fridge back in, the fan came on, the compressor came on. The fridge was cooling again. About 15 minutes later everything went dead. I pulled the fridge back out, took the bottom piece back off and noticed that the fan was not working nor the compressor. The compressor was hot. I opened the fridge doors and the lights came on. So the fridge was still getting power right? I checked the circuit breaker out in the garage and all fuses were good to go. None blown. I unplugged the fridge and now confused on what is next. Should I order the kit (8201786) and try again, call the repairman, buy a compressor or a new fridge? Any suggestions on what could have possibly happened?
richappy  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2010 5:08:25 AM(UTC)
richappy

If you failed to install the run capacitor, the compressor may have stalled and blew out the adaptive defrost board behind the control panel, particularly if the evaporator fan fails to run.
Either that, or the compressor just shorted and drew high current.
denman  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2010 5:18:28 AM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Could it be that the unit went into a defrost cycle?
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
TrvlngSldr2006  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2010 6:46:06 AM(UTC)
TrvlngSldr2006

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Could it be that the unit went into a defrost cycle?

richappy: Does this mean I need to make a service call to a professional, or can this be a DIY project? What you stated sounds way above my knowledge of fridges. Thanks for the assistance.

denman: Do you think it is safe to plug it all back up again and see if it starts working later on? Thanks.
denman  
#10 Posted : Monday, November 1, 2010 7:25:26 AM(UTC)
denman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I would think it will be OK since the unit seems dead and you do not smell anything.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply