Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
indyacaden  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 6:55:57 AM(UTC)
indyacaden

Groups: Registered

I have a side by side Hotpoint refrigerator we bought 8/2005. The ice and water dispenser quit working but the unit still makes ice but is not dispensing it. We've been told the control board needs replacing. Is this correct? Now, the freezer and refrigerator are not cooling and the unit is making a ticking noise that sounds like a clock. The light still works when we open either the freezer or refrigerator side. Does the control board control the cooling to both sides too, or could this be another problem? :mad:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

abadfish66  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 6:59:04 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

It is most definatly your control board. The referigerator temp is controlled by the freezer section, therefore if the freezer side does not work, the freshfood side wont work. Please get me your model and serial#
indyacaden  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 7:12:57 AM(UTC)
indyacaden

So the control board controls the temperature on the freezer side? Model # HSM25GFRFSA; Serial # GH238370
abadfish66  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 7:19:24 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Yes the board controls the freezer temp, freshfood temp, ice, water, and everything else your refrigerator does.....The good news is if you did purchase it in aug of 2005, then you can call GE for service and the board will be replaced free of charge. 0-3 years free repair, 3-5 years $100 repair, over 5 years $300 repair....Hope this helps.
indyacaden  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 7:33:26 AM(UTC)
indyacaden

I called GE and they said it is only covered for the first year.
indyacaden  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 8:04:35 AM(UTC)
indyacaden

Is the control board easy to remove and install?
abadfish66  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 8:14:17 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

Yes it is easy. It is at the back of the refer behind an access panel. Set up a service call and request that the tech call you before he arrives, and he will tell you also that it is a free repair covered under a rework program GE has for this model refer. But if you would rather purchase the board yourself WR55x10552 is the part#. Look through the posts on GE refers and you will see people with the same problem that got it fixed for free.
abadfish66  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 8:16:32 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

indyacaden  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 8:23:55 AM(UTC)
indyacaden

We had a GE repairman at our house about 3 weeks ago and he's the one that said it was the control board. He came out after I called GE to see if there were any recalls on the model refrig and they said there were some problems with that model but they wouldn't tell me what the problems were, no recalls though. They sent him out for no charge to see if it was what had been reported by others. lHe said the cost would be $200 to repair the control board. The part was $130 and $70 service fee. We found the part cheaper elsewhere and was going to fix it ourselves, but if they have a rework on this model I think it's only fair they repair it at no cost. Where do I find the website showing the problems other people have had with this model? I've called them several times and feel like they are avoiding my problem. They should be aware if there is a rework.
abadfish66  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 8:37:56 AM(UTC)
abadfish66

There is no website to look at. You can google and probably find the answer. Did you look at the link I previously posted? clicking noises back GE Refrigerator I guess that's all I can do for you. I gave you the answer and you can go from there. Good luck.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply